12c27 experience?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JKerr

Reaction score
Anyone used 12c27 steel before? Can be found in some of the Laguiole knives and some of the various sabatier folders. Seen reference to it being used for hunting and fishing knives too but I don't know anything about those.

Curious how it performs in the usual areas: retention, how it sharpens, how good an edge it can take etc.. I fully expect it'll be pretty average compared to the like for AEB-L, Gin 3, VG-10 and the more popular stainless options but is it still a decent option for cutlery? Or, is it atleast better than Z50C13 (as found in stainless Sabatier Ks).

Cheers,
Josh

From what ive read about it i'd put it along side the steel in victorinox knives, good but not great. Don't have any first hand experience of it though.

Bark River used it in the Kitchen Series and took it to 60 HRc. It is an fairly good performing steel, but nothing special. At that hardness, it is somewhat better than the Sabatier Inox.

It's a basic steel used in a lot of oldish Swedish kitchen knives.
I know candlejack on this forum has a few. Maybe send him a PM?

I have used it a long way back but hardly remember what it was like. I seem to recall a bit better than Victorinox but not as good as the steels we are used to here.

It is being used in Opinels and in SAK's. Sadly, Victorinox uses 440A in their kitchen knives, though. If I remember well, it's finely grained and quite wear resistant.

12C27 is in the same family as AEB-L and 13C26. It has a little better corrosion resistance and the max hardness is a little lower.

Cheers for the feedback.

Stumbled across it while looking for a new bread knife (couldn't find anything better than the Tojiro/Mac or a decent price) and I seen some nifty looking knives from Laguiole en Aubac.
View attachment 10404 View attachment 10405

Ones a 28cm ham knife, the other a 27cm champagne sabre. Haven't a clue what the geometry on a champagne sabre is like or whether it would work for butchery, but hey, it looks spiffy :D

Definitely more practical options for the price, but Laguiole stuff has always been about luxury.

Cheers,
Josh

Cheers,
Josh

A champagne saber is for whacking the top off of a champagne bottle, I doubt that it would be very useful for cutting food!

Haha. Yeah, I figured as much. I'm just a sucker for anything French.

Back