Carter faux nakiri

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

markenki

Reaction score
Carter has a "faux nakiri" for sale on his site. Looks like he had a gyuto with a broken tip and decided to reshape and "rebrand" it. I'm sure it cuts well as long as you can past how it looks. :)

carter_faux_nakiri.jpg

Good catch--that's one ugly knife.

If it was less than $445, Murray couldn't afford his helicopter, race cars, martial arts training, etc.

So should he have just thrown the blade away? That seems wasteful. Or do you guys just think he should give it away?

So should he have just thrown the blade away? That seems wasteful. Or do you guys just think he should give it away?

Not give it away, but there should be _some_ discount.

I don't mid people selling seconds, but the price seems steep. Sure is hella ugly.

Or a real Nakiri, depending on how big it is. Seriously, take your thumb, partially block your view to see it as a Nakiri and it looks good. Sure, the stamp is awfully far up if you do this, but still.

I have a hard time faulting someone for trying something different. Especially after making thousands of knives.
Beauty is certainly in the eye of the beholder and I'm sure there's a cross-eyed person out there somewhere who will think that this is beautiful, or at least ugly enough to be interesting.

But, I have to agree, his would have looked infinitely better with a kiritsuke tip from tip to spine like the little banno kobunka that Takeda makes:
http://sharpandshinyshop.com/collections/knives/products/takeda-125mm-banno-kobunka-bocho
Takeda_1_large.jpg

I had a hard time letting this one go. So yes, I agree.

If I'm spending $400+, I don't want the word "faux" in the title.

(Not to mention it's ugly and must have been a mistake that for whatever reason wasn't recycled/discarded.)

It's only been up since Saturday. Two other high grades with custom handles in the same price range have sold - a funayuki and a wabocho.

Oops, for some reason my ServSafe addled brain misread the date on this thread, thought it was from last year:dazed:
Either way, it makes me question Murray's overall quality control/business plan frankly...

Oops, for some reason my ServSafe addled brain misread the date on this thread, thought it was from last year:dazed:
Either way, it makes me question Murray's overall quality control/business plan frankly...

I had a "Huh?" moment, myself, when I saw it. If I was a custom smith, I'm not sure I'd let that one out of my shop.

I'm no knifemaker, and far be it from me to judge somebody else's creations... But- what is going on here? I don't understand this at all...

Yeah, not for me, and what is with the mark mid way through the blade? Anyhow, I don't like to knock Carter. The knife I have of his is one of my favorites, but this knife just doesn't sit well with my eyes. And for this one he puts a sexy handle on it???

k.

Nice handle. But its bocote. BOcote.

No ideas on this one. Clearly an accident, but probably one he liked the result of and wanted it to find a good home.

Not my style, that's for sure. However, Murray is one of my top makers, and one knife doesn't change that in the least.
This knife proves two things to me: Murray CAN make sexy handles; and, he is either arrogant or playful enough to let this one sell to somebody (someone will pick it up), rather than putting it in the junk pile.

I like the guy's work, no love his work. I like his confidence. And I like bocote, dammit!

Latest posts

Back