• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Kitchen Knife Forums and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

Couple of HA items

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dave Martell

Forum Founder
Founding Member
Reaction score
I'm tired of seeing this manufacturers name so hopefully these two items will be headed off to a new owner where they'll be enjoyed more than they are here. :wink:

HA Borosilicate (Glass) Honing Rod

P1010020-7.jpg

P1010009-17.jpg

P1010017-16.jpg

P1010018-9.jpg

P1010023-6.jpg

P1010021-5.jpg

This one has a 13" glass rod, has the (original style) birch handle, 1/4 section serrations (grooving) + 3/4 slick section, and a premium/rare English bridle sheath.

The slick section is used regularly for edge alignment, the grooving/serrations are used to save an edge or to keep it alive by scratching it slightly, and the leather sheath can be used for honing as well.

I personally have zero use for this tool but I'm sure that someone out there can put it to work. These have been a popular item that is very scarcely seen from the source.

New Retail Price - $109

My Price - $89 (shipping - but not insurance - included to CONUS)

HA Bench Hone

P1010032-2.jpg

P1010024-6.jpg

P1010026-4.jpg

P1010027-6.jpg

P1010030-3.jpg

This is the 11" x 3" steel topped Dupont Corian base version. Included are 2 - HA bark tanned bovine leather pads (with magnetic backing). The leather pads are unused but in so so condition (some range marks seen too) and IMO will be better once treated. If I were to use them I'd first clean and condition them with some Goop hand cleaner before applying my compound(s). This conditioning brings this leather to top form, trust me I've done this hundreds and hundreds of times to this stuff.

In case you don't know how this system works, the leather pads are removable/ replaceable with any HA 11" x 3" currently available pads. You have one base and multiple pads if you desire.

*Note - The steel plates attached to the bases have a tendency to rust if left unprotected. This is a known problem. I waxed this one when I got it and you can see that it's fared OK in my use.

New Retail Price - $80

My Price - $65 (shipping - but not insurance - included to CONUS)

Please PM me if you're interested.

Thanks,
Dave

I'd like to buy both of those items from you but for the life of me I seem unable to find a PM button to send a private messge to you about this. :eyebrow:

you have to have 2 or 3 posts before you can pm, it's a spam protection. just say hi to a couple of folks, or post a few words multiple times on this thread.

you have to have 2 or 3 posts before you can pm, it's a spam protection. just say hi to a couple of folks, or post a few words multiple times on this thread.

Ahhh. Thank you! I was going nuts trying to decide I really wasn't albe to see the PM button.

that is strange...i thought it was 2 or 3 posts, but i can't pm you (paradox) either...oh yeah, welcome to the forum

I'd like to buy both of those items from you but for the life of me I seem unable to find a PM button to send a private messge to you about this. :eyebrow:

Well they're yours if we can connect...LOL

So yeah the guys are correct you only need 2 posts to use the PM feature. Go to the top of any page and click on "Notifications"

I'll also try sending you a PM too

Thanks everyone for your help and suggestions. Got the PMs working and the funds are on the way to Dave for the gear. :thumbsup:

I still have mine in my kit, works great :) and you can't beat the weight :p

dam I have been looking for that rod for ever. The price was a steal gratz paradox.

The leather pads are unused but in so so condition (some range marks seen too) and IMO will be better once treated. If I were to use them I'd first clean and condition them with some Goop hand cleaner before applying my compound(s). This conditioning brings this leather to top form, trust me I've done this hundreds and hundreds of times to this stuff.

Hi Dave,

Can you give me a brief detail your method for doing this?

Thanks!

Hi Dave,

Can you give me a brief detail your method for doing this?

Thanks!

Sure, it's pretty simple, just rub some Goop into the leather and then rub off the excess. Buff lengthwise to bring out the shine. This is also the same method for cleaning the leather when it gets black and dirty.

You don't have to use Goop brand necessarily it's "waterless hand cleaner" that's needed here, but be sure to get a version that does NOT contain pumice. Many of the orange scented versions have pumice for some reason but read the label regardless, you don't want to rub in some 80x pumice into your strop. :)

Is there a felt pad that will work with this strop set?

I'll take it if I can add some felt too the order.

Bummer. No worries. I'll just have to pick up some felt from you ;-). Been wanting to try a felt strop for a bit.

Just checked out the site. Didn't see any felt or strops. What gives :-/ ;-)

Sure, it's pretty simple, just rub some Goop into the leather and then rub off the excess. Buff lengthwise to bring out the shine. This is also the same method for cleaning the leather when it gets black and dirty.

You don't have to use Goop brand necessarily it's "waterless hand cleaner" that's needed here, but be sure to get a version that does NOT contain pumice. Many of the orange scented versions have pumice for some reason but read the label regardless, you don't want to rub in some 80x pumice into your strop. :)

Dave, is this also how you would treat the leather strops you used to sell?

k.

Dave, is this also how you would treat the leather strops you used to sell?

k.

If you're talking about the textured leather then no , this is for smooth leather only.

Back