board butter on bakko yanagi cutting board?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

markenki

Reaction score
I bought a Bakko Yanagi cutting board from aframestokyo, and the recommendation is to "Please make a wet the cutting board before using it. It prevents ingredients smell getting in the cutting board as saturated with water." Any reason I shouldn't use a mineral oil/beeswax mixture on it instead?

Anybody else have a similar cutting board?

Thanks,

Mark

So it's a Japanese board, huh? I was wondering about this myself and forgot about it in the end. When I was last in Japan I asked a bit in the shops how they keep their cutting boards in top condition, do they use an oil or wax? Oh, no, no, no, was the reaction. Always keep it clean, clean, they seemed to say. Well, my discussions were hardly fluent and that's all I got out of if. I was asking because I wanted to buy any sort of oil, etc, they used rather than importing it from the US or wherever, which I ended up doing anyway.

I don't know how many places do it, but I think some of the sushi guys actually sand (or maybe plane?) down their boards a little bit so it's constantly becoming a new surface. At least the guys with those monstrous tree slab boards.

I thought the point of some of these boards is that they hold fish in place because of their texture. I imagine that might be why there was such a reaction to asking about oiling. I could also have completely made that up, lol.

Back