Which line of stones are the best/ most consistent?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jgraeff

Reaction score
I have been debating on getting new stones for a while but i can never seem to make a decision on what i want, i ended up getting a few jnats instead and loved them but i need to replace my 1k and 6k stones as they really are not that great even though i get great edges off them i dont like the feel of these stones.

currently still have 1k minosharp and 6k( forget which one keep stone off amazon from long before i found this forum)

Im stuck between chosera, gesshin, and JNS

can anyone tell me if any is better for any reason, or if any is a better value etc.

I have expierence with gesshin 400 and love the stone, as far as the others i have never used them only read reviews im sure some of you have used both is not all of these so feedback would be great!

thanks

First, this is a hard question because there is a lot of subjectivity what is best and what is not best.
I have chosera 1k and JNS 1k, for me they are close overal.
Compared to chosera, JNS dishes slower, it is thicker, makes nice mirror, needs soaking. To me it looks like JNS is a bit faster than Chosera, IMO one can't go wrong with either one of them.

I'm not one to ask. I use and still love my King 1k. The price is right, it's available locally, and it's nice and muddy. I use a Suehiro 6k (yes, 6k, not a Rika), and I love it too. The slurry could be described as sticky, which is a bit different, but the smoothness and feel of the stone, I absolutely love. I can't argue with the price or results either. Maybe it's just me, but I'm not too fussy about my stones.

A fast alternative could be the Chosera 800, very versatile if you vary pressure, water supply, mud creation.

I agree with Lefty I like my kings, and kitayama combo. But Also based on my experiences with Jon and what I've heard and seen of the Gesshin Line you can't go wrong with those either and when my current stones wear out that is where I'm going to be looking for replacements

Good point,more or less fingerpad pressure can make even one stone quite a bit more versatile.

As said it is subjective one person's cup of tea might not be anothers.I like stones that have a little grab & aggresive cutting.Bester 1000,Rika 5K.I also like my Gesshin 2K & 8K.Both good sets to me.

Imanishi makes some of the most popular ones, but somehow the brand name gets skipped over.

I wonder why they don't make a Bester 1200/ Rika 5000 combo stone already? Both permasoak, both are excellent sellers.

Imanishi makes some of the most popular ones, but somehow the brand name gets skipped over.

I wonder why they don't make a Bester 1200/ Rika 5000 combo stone already? Both permasoak, both are excellent sellers.

:idea2:

Not terribly feasible to stick two maker's stones together of course, but Suehiro can probably wangle something with stuff they have kicking around...

I'll find out this afternoon. :)

And if not, I reckon I could finagle something with a tube of glue and a few stones... :D

Although I must confess, I've never been attracted to combo stones myself. Haven't been that attracted to Imanishi stones either actually but apparently that's something I need to deal with.

Or not... ;)

Stu.

I haven't been terribly impressed with the chosera's that I've owned, and I've never tried a synthetic from JNS, but I trust that Maxim would only sell super-awesome stuff.

I own both the Gesshin 400 and 4000(soaking version). The 4000 is even more impressive than the 400: still super-fast cutting but very low/slow wearing. It has amazing range/ flexibility in that it can easily do the work of a 2k stone, but creates an edge that feels much finer that you would expect from 4k. I've actually jumped right from the 400 to the 4K before when working with cheaper steel and wanting a shaving-sharp but still tooth edge. It's the most consistent stone I've ever used and it cut EVERYTHING I've put on it.

:idea2:

Not terribly feasible to stick two maker's stones together of course, but Suehiro can probably wangle something with stuff they have kicking around...

I'll find out this afternoon. :)

And if not, I reckon I could finagle something with a tube of glue and a few stones... :D

Although I must confess, I've never been attracted to combo stones myself. Haven't been that attracted to Imanishi stones either actually but apparently that's something I need to deal with.

Or not... ;)

Stu.

Oh, I thought Suehiro and Imanishi were under the same umbrella, I've seen them sold together for so long.

If you could split them in half, and sell a combo stone for less than the price of both, I think they'd be well liked. I don't see a lot of combo stones that are made from popular name brand stones.

Oh, I thought Suehiro and Imanishi were under the same umbrella, I've seen them sold together for so long.

If you could split them in half, and sell a combo stone for less than the price of both, I think they'd be well liked. I don't see a lot of combo stones that are made from popular name brand stones.

Nope, Imanishi is out of Kyoto and Suehiro is from Niigata. Both are very similar in that they started out with natural stones and branched into synthetic stones, but the similarity stops there. I don't know for sure, but I believe Imanishi has their stones made for them (not unusual) and Suehiro keeps manufacturing in house.

It's very likely that whoever is sending the stones out of Japan deals with both Suehiro and Imanishi, so stores going through whoever that might be have easy and ready access to both of these brands.

It'd be unlikely that I'd be able to split the stones and combine a Bester with a Rika. Not impossible to do, just get them and do it myself, but the sum of the parts would be more expensive than anyone would like. Getting someone to do it for me, that's not out of the question either but as I deal with Suehiro directly and don't deal with Imanishi directly, it'll be more likely that I'd get the Rika stuck to the back of one of the dozen or so #1000 stones that Suehiro makes. But I have to wait and see what Suehiro thinks of the idea. If they say ok, then it's a go. If not, then I'll look at other options but it'd be most likely that I'd stick together full thickness Rikas to full thickness 'something that's not a Bester' stones.

And yes, price is a consideration. ;)

We'll just wait and see.

Stu.

I think my JNS is awesome and If I would be about buying more synthetics I would get the rest of the line.

BUT

Honestly I dont sharpen too much stainless but anyway I hate it. Funny how this stone changes, is works wonders on tough carbons yet is upleasant on softer stainless. Clogs too much for my likings and begins to dish more.
Is not very muddy, cuts ultra fast and is hard.
As I written in my review, good for sharpening, little hard for polishing - would use something like King 1K after or something, before moving on with progression.

Back