any one know what this says

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sachem allison

Reaction score
anyone know what this says. I'm sure its obvious to some of you, but I don't read Kanji.

masamoto.jpg

I suppose you already know last four letters are "register masamoto"! top two letters' handwriting is too illegible:dontknow:. could you post larger/better pic. ??

You mean above the Masamoto stamps, right?

I bet it's someone's name. But I can't read it either! :dontknow:

I think it might say, "you will find a new love". Or is it, "stick with your wife"? I always get those two mixed up in kanji.

According to Ms. Kawano, it says "Jun Nippon kou" and it is probably a honyaki knife. Jun Nippon kou is the highest quality of virgin steel. She also explains how it is extremely hard to make, sharpen, and use, because it has no flexibility.

Thank you. my friend has one and it is 300mm , what would something like this in new condition run?

Thank you. my friend has one and it is 300mm , what would something like this in new condition run?

Sorry, Ms. Kawano was actually mistaken. According to Mr. Sugai, Masamoto's jun nippon kou has blue steel (crome and tungsten) mixed into their jun nippon kou knives, so it's not 100% pure carbon.

I asked Mr. Hirano (6th gen. president), and he told me that it is work about $850~$900. Judging from the engraved writing, he suspects that it knife is about 50 to 60 years old and it may have been engraved by the 4th generation president or Mr. Hirano's father.

I hope this is helpful. Sorry it took me a bit to get all of this information. :)

Thank you Mari, It turns out that it is 50 years old and is actually 360mm in length. Unfortunately, I really have no use for a yanagiba. I thought it might be nice to have though. Alas, no money.

This photo really reminds me of the yanagi that was on ebay some time ago. 36cm honyaki...:detective:

He did put it up on ebay. I actually only ever saw it in pictures. would have liked to actually touched it. I think it sold, I can't find it.

How much he was asking for it ? it looks like new even it is 50years old :O

I'd swear his had these flowery characters on it...I remember it was honyaki.

The one from ebay wasnt in such a good form, the back side was quite tired for being honyaki blade. All different kinds of problems might be a result.
There was something with the tip lso if I remember correctly.

Pretty magnificent blade nonetheless.

Back