Hi, first post here and I already ask for help Thanks in advance!
Following the questions in the sticky post:
- What type of knife(s) do you think you want?
- Why is it being purchased? What, if anything, are you replacing?
Replacing a Tojiro DP 210mm.
- What do you like and dislike about these qualities of your knives already?
Aesthetics- ok, but I prefer wa handles now, and I dislike the printed lettering (hammer-stamped kanji look much better)
Edge Quality/Retention- chips a bit easily, not amazingly sharp but this is probably mostly my fault (shaves, but not smoothly)
Ease of Use- ok
Comfort- ok after rounding the spine, not amazing
- What grip do you use? pinch grip
- What kind of cutting motion do you use? mostly push-cutting, sometimes pull, rarely rocking and walking.
- Where do you store them? drawer with wooden knife support, but I'm changing to magnetic wall mounts soon.
- Have you ever oiled a handle? no, doesn't sound too daunting though.
- What kind of cutting board(s) do you use? currently bamboo, getting a mahogany end-grain boardsmith. Will keep using the bamboo for protein.
- For edge maintenance, do you use a strop, honing rod, pull through/other, or nothing? At the moment I have a smooth steeling rod (Victorinox), but I only see an effect on the few softer knives I have. I might get a strop. I started stropping on newsprint on top of my cutting board after sharpening, and noticed a clear improvement.
- Have they ever been sharpened? Yes, on an Edge Pro with Chosera stones. I'm still learning the technique but I get a (just) shaving edge.
- What is your budget? ~250 USD
- What do you cook and how often? Daily, a lot of vegetables especially onion, shallot, garlic, ginger, spring onion; and some meat and fish.
- Special requests(Country of origin/type of wood/etc)?
I think I'd like a sharp tip for precise work like fine dicing onion/garlic.
I also think I'd prefer some stiffness - flexible sounds like it would make it harder to use the tip. I'm happy with the Tojiro DP stiffness (but not with the tip geometry).
I've done some research already, came up with the following list of knives that I thought more or less fit my needs, casting a wide net here!
- Moritaka KS 250mm san-mai Blue Super (I'm aware of the grind issues, but I like the profile, steel, and price point...)
- Masamoto KS 250mm solid White #2
- ******** Ultimatum 250mm, 52100 carbon or 19c27 stainless (M390 out of stock)
- Konosuke HD (a bit confused about the old and new profiles)
- ******** Laser, solid AEL-B
- Kanehiro san-mai Aogami Super
- Takeda Sasanoha Large Blue Super
- Tanaka Damascus san-mai Blue #2 http://www.ebay.com/itm/Japanese-Dam...-/261105971967
- Yoshihiro solid kasumi Blue #2 http://www.ebay.com/itm/Hagane-Wa-Gy...-/230834291570
- Yoshihiro san-mai kurouchi Blue #2: http://www.amazon.com/YOSHIHIRO-Japa...dp/B006TT1LCM/
- Sakai Yusuke san-mai White #2 http://www.ebay.com/itm/Japanese-Sak...-/380438268745
- Sakai Ichimonji-Kichikuni kurouchi san-mai White #2 http://www.ebay.com/itm/Japanese-SAK...-/380427703221
- JCK Fu-Rin-Ka-Zan san-mai White #1 http://japanesechefsknife.com/FurinkazanW1Series.html
- JCK Kagayagi Blue Super (profile doesn't seem quite right, but I like the steel and look...) http://japanesechefsknife.com/KAGAYA...perSeries.html
- Monzaburo Blue http://yhst-27988581933240.stores.ya...ade-kn240.html
- Sadayasu Yellow #2 http://yhst-27988581933240.stores.ya...ade-kn240.html
- Aritsugu A-Style http://yhst-27988581933240.stores.ya...-wa-gy240.html
- Azuma Minamoto No Masahisa Wagyuto White #2 http://yhst-27988581933240.stores.ya...ade-kn240.html
- Azuma Minamoto No Masahisa Tokushu steel (?) http://yhst-27988581933240.stores.ya...yasugi240.html