D. Martell Cleaver anyone?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dave Martell

Forum Founder
Founding Member
Reaction score
I want to make a vegetable cleaver to see how it goes, anyone interested in picking up #1?

I'd also be interested. Oh and I hate you. :justkidding: :knife:

ABSOLUTELY!!!!!

Hax the Cook CLEAVERS RULE!!! :D

It has to be thin. :) 100mm x 210mm near (under?) 400g would be awesome.

Good thing Cutty Sharp reminded me to be responsible and not jump the gun on a nakiri. What he *really* meant to say, I'm sure, is "Are you sure you want to get a Martell nakiri right now? Wouldn't you rather wait a bit and get a Martell cleaver instead?"

Wise, wise man, I say! :D

Since I only plan on doing one to see how it goes I'll offer it to the first person who responded and go from there if that falls through.

Thanks for the good response here guys. :)

DARN IT!!!!!!!!! If I ever wanted to be first on a Martel its this one!

Can I still get in on the first run?

DARN IT!!!!!!!!! If I ever wanted to be first on a Martel its this one!

Can I still get in on the first run?

I'd LOVE to say yes but the truth is that I may hate doing these and there may not be more than this one. Only time will tell. Thanks for your interest though. :)

Well I have to order some steel for this so I might as well order enough to do a few. I will do the first one as soon as I can but I will take orders for others (to be done in line) if anyone is interested.

Stats - The cleavers will be made using O-1 at Rc60-61. The handle may be either full tang or hidden but will be western(ish), probably a single type of wood without a bolster. It will be a little different than what I do with knives - more cleaveresque but not round barrel looking like a CCK. I haven't determined an exact size on the blade (or obviously a weight) but it'll be around 220mm x 110mm but don't hold me to those exact dimensions.

Now for the cost - $575 (plus shipping)
*This is an introductory price that may (and likely will) increase if I decide to do more.

Please shoot me a PM if you're interested and we can talk details.

Thanks folks!
Dave

I have been wanting a nice cleaver from an American bladesmith, but they are SCARCE. A 220x110 with a nice buckeye burl handle? It
will 4 weeks or so before I can send funds; half now and half on delivery?

Hax the Cook CLEAVERS RULE!!! :D

I can accept one more pre-order cleaver. Please contact me if you're interested.

Dave

A littke short as of right this minute, will PM if this changes.

HHax the Cook CLEAVERS RULE!!! :D

I forgot to mention that I may be using 52100 for this first round of trial cleavers. The reason is steel availability more than anything.

Latest posts

Back