paypal /craigslist possible scam?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sudsy9977

Founding Member
Reaction score
ok so i want something off of craigslist....the guy wants 130 bucks including shipping to me?....it is obviously too far to pick up.....he said he would accept paypal?.....what if he send me an empty box or nothing at all?....can i file a claim with paypal and get my money back?.....any advice......i also have been talking to him via text message...i don't have any written proof in emails of anything....dont know if that matters.....thanks for any advice....ryan

It's certainly a risk that he could send you an empty box I guess. I have done countless numbers of deals online with paypal both as seller and buyer. So far I have been fortunate and not got a rip off. There is a certain amount of protection afforded to buyers and sellers via PP but I'm not sure how much. I know one time I sold something to someone and they found a problem with the item I missed. After a couple of emails we sorted it out and I gave him a partial refund all was well. Best of luck to you! :cool2:

If you send someone money via PayPal and get nothing, you can easily file a claim. PayPal tends to favor the buyer in these cases. I've filed a couple of successful claims for non-receipt--a bike part, a flashlight. The only proof you need is that you sent the guy money, which PayPal keeps track of.

Pay the Paypal with your credit card. If Paypal does not give your money back, claim it from the CC company (they will get the money from PP and PP will claim it from the seller if possible). This is supposed to be a reasonably safe back-up.

If you send someone money via PayPal and get nothing, you can easily file a claim. PayPal tends to favor the buyer in these cases. I've filed a couple of successful claims for non-receipt--a bike part, a flashlight. The only proof you need is that you sent the guy money, which PayPal keeps track of.

This is true, but make sure to check the timelines for recourse in the event something is disputed. A lot of times a person won't respond and drag things out until it is past the PayPal deadline, then you are really screwed. Before that deadline though, paypal is probably as safe as anything. Of course, local cash in hand will avoid all risk, but it depends upon how much you want it. I've gotten screwed a couple of times on eBay and a handful of times with regular businesses using credit cards, so there is always a risk in any transaction, but I could count those on one hand over 20+ years. I bought my house off of craigslist.

k.

Depending on what you're getting, cash in hand isn't always better. For example, I'd much rather pay with pp for something like concert tickets. If someone sells you stolen or fake tickets and they don't work with pp, you can file a claim and get your money back. If you pay cash the guy just ripped you off and you're s.o.l. This is true for basically any product that might be faulty.

Using Paypal with a credit card and having it shipped via US Postal is a fine bet.

PayPal does seem to give pretty good customer protection.

Credit card companies aren't too big on people being defrauded either, and you will likely get your money back.

Lastly, if you buy something mail order and you get swindled that's mail fraud, a federal offense, and the US Postal Service uses federal agents to do their investigating. Federal agents demand attention.

ahh screw it..i sent the guy money....will update it soon hopefully with me getting my package.....thanks for the advice....i really appreciate it.....ryan

woooohoooooooooo not only did i get my item from craigslist(vance and hines slip ons for my bike).....a friend came over and helped me put em on which i am thankful for...no way i would have been able to get the old ones off and these on.......they were so friggin tight it was unreal......im gonna be waken up a lot of babies in the night.....watch out car alarms cause they are loud as HEEEELLLLLLLL!!!!!!!!!!....ryan

Back