Quantcast
FS: Heiji semistainless 270 gyuto and 210 suji/petty
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: FS: Heiji semistainless 270 gyuto and 210 suji/petty

FS: Heiji semistainless 270 gyuto and 210 suji/petty

The Heiji 270 gyuto is probably one of my favorite knives. I've come to really appreciate the extra length with this one. It also cuts amazingly well...seriously. The only knives I've tried (including Shigs, lasers, etc.) that have cut better are a Marko practice knife and a Tilman Leder (Rottman) custom gyuto. The trade off with those is that they cut a bit better, but they also feel A LOT more delicate at the edge. I still don't feel totally comfortable rock chopping herbs with those. The lack of stiction is also better on the Heiji.

This gyuto is not very heavily used. Probably lightly sharpened 5-6 times. This one was rehandled by Jon at JKI and has a nice shellacked sheath by Burke Cutlery. The handle was soaked in oil for a week, which made the grain of even this plain ho-wood pop really beautifully (if you buy this knife and want it rehandled, please sell me that handle back ). Jon installed the handle with a slight tilt to allow for knuckle clearance. I've also rounded and polished the choil on this one.

The dark spots in the pics are patina.

I'm asking $495 for the gyuto shipped CONUS with tracking.

Here are some specs for the gyuto:

Edge Length: just under 280mm
    Heel height: 51mm
    Spine at heel: just under 4mm
    Spine at midpoint: a tiny bit more than 2mm
    Spine 1cm from tip: a little less than 2mm and rapidly dropping to below 1mm from there

This 210 suji I probably like even more than the gyuto. It also cuts incredibly well. It has an even more beautiful distal taper than the gyuto. The profile is also great. The gyuto I'll miss; this one, I think I wouldn't mind if it doesn't even sell. It has a burnt chestnut D-handle, which I really like. It also has a sheath by Burke Cutlery. When I tried to force an ebony saya pin in this one, the hole in the sheath developed a tiny crack. It doesn't go through all the wood (which is very thick) and is not a threat to the structural integrity of the sheath in any way. Just thought I'd list even the little issues. I think I've sharpened this one 4-5 times.

I'm asking $325 for the suji shipped CONUS with tracking.

Here are specs for the suji:

Edge Length: around 215 mm
    Heel height: just over 36mm
    Spine at heel: just under 4mm
    Spine at midpoint: looks around 1.7mm on my ruler
    Spine 1cm from tip: a little over 1mm, so maybe 1.2mm-ish and tapering really quickly to the tip like the gyuto

PLEASE NOTE: If you'd like insurance, please ask for it. I can't be responsible for the package if you don't get insurance (I'm too broke to offer out of pocket insurance). Also, please PM me and don't just post in the thread that you want the knife.

BTW, if you want to know why I'm selling these, two reasons:

1) I'm broke and am keeping my cheaper knives for now.
    2) I have audio equipment to pay for.

Oh no... I don't need another gyuto, I don't need another gyuto... must look away....
    Len

Quote Originally Posted by heirkb View Post
    BTW, if you want to know why I'm selling these, two reasons:

1) I'm broke and am keeping my cheaper knives for now.
    I thought I knew you....
    09/06

Take a look around at: www.sharpandshinyshop.com

Email me at: tmclean@sharpandshinyshop.com

Now there's an expensive habit. I know.

Lol, I know. Weird that one of the biggest fans of Heijis is selling his. Honestly, I think I may someday pick up another. A Heiji 300mm suji? That'd be sweet.

This stings, but the 210 suji is sold pending payment.

Oh and about the audio equipment, I'm being beyond careful. I don't even lurk on forums, I just check the many forums through google searches for bits of info on good-entry level stuff and leave. Audio stuff can make knives look very cheap.

Quote Originally Posted by heirkb View Post
    Oh and about the audio equipment, I'm being beyond careful. I don't even lurk on forums, I just check the many forums through google searches for bits of info on good-entry level stuff and leave. Audio stuff can make knives look very cheap.
    You know about audiogon.com of course?

I'm going to have to PM you if that's ok pitonboy.

Just a heads up, I don't have the boxes for these knives right now. They're a few thousand miles across the country. Hope that's ok for people interested in buying them.

Just wanted to add that if the gyuto doesn't sell in a few days, I'll probably pull it from the BST for now at least. I have another knife I may sell in its place (Rottman/Tilman Leder 260 SB1/Niolox gyuto).

One last edit: suji is SOLD!

Damn, good thing this all took place before I even got outta bed.
    I prolly would snagged up that Suji, and lord knows I don't need it!

Congrats on the sale.

I hope the other one goes soon as well, it's a good price on such a nice combo.
    -Enjoy the ride. *** All statements made herein are my personal opinion and nothing more, regardless of tone or context. ***