• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Kitchen Knife Forums and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

FS: Heiji semistainless 270 gyuto and 210 suji/petty

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

heirkb

Reaction score
The Heiji 270 gyuto is probably one of my favorite knives. I've come to really appreciate the extra length with this one. It also cuts amazingly well...seriously. The only knives I've tried (including Shigs, lasers, etc.) that have cut better are a Marko practice knife and a Tilman Leder (Rottman) custom gyuto. The trade off with those is that they cut a bit better, but they also feel A LOT more delicate at the edge. I still don't feel totally comfortable rock chopping herbs with those. The lack of stiction is also better on the Heiji.

This gyuto is not very heavily used. Probably lightly sharpened 5-6 times. This one was rehandled by Jon at JKI and has a nice shellacked sheath by Burke Cutlery. The handle was soaked in oil for a week, which made the grain of even this plain ho-wood pop really beautifully (if you buy this knife and want it rehandled, please sell me that handle back :D). Jon installed the handle with a slight tilt to allow for knuckle clearance. I've also rounded and polished the choil on this one.

The dark spots in the pics are patina.

I'm asking $495 for the gyuto shipped CONUS with tracking.

Here are some specs for the gyuto:

Edge Length: just under 280mm
Heel height: 51mm
Spine at heel: just under 4mm
Spine at midpoint: a tiny bit more than 2mm
Spine 1cm from tip: a little less than 2mm and rapidly dropping to below 1mm from there

IMG_0382.jpg

IMG_0383.jpg

IMG_0384.jpg

IMG_0385.jpg

IMG_0386.jpg

IMG_0387.jpg

This 210 suji I probably like even more than the gyuto. It also cuts incredibly well. It has an even more beautiful distal taper than the gyuto. The profile is also great. The gyuto I'll miss; this one, I think I wouldn't mind if it doesn't even sell. It has a burnt chestnut D-handle, which I really like. It also has a sheath by Burke Cutlery. When I tried to force an ebony saya pin in this one, the hole in the sheath developed a tiny crack. It doesn't go through all the wood (which is very thick) and is not a threat to the structural integrity of the sheath in any way. Just thought I'd list even the little issues. I think I've sharpened this one 4-5 times.

I'm asking $325 for the suji shipped CONUS with tracking.

Here are specs for the suji:

Edge Length: around 215 mm
Heel height: just over 36mm
Spine at heel: just under 4mm
Spine at midpoint: looks around 1.7mm on my ruler
Spine 1cm from tip: a little over 1mm, so maybe 1.2mm-ish and tapering really quickly to the tip like the gyuto

IMG_0388.jpg

IMG_0389.jpg

IMG_0390.jpg

IMG_0394-1.jpg

IMG_0395-1.jpg

PLEASE NOTE: If you'd like insurance, please ask for it. I can't be responsible for the package if you don't get insurance (I'm too broke to offer out of pocket insurance). Also, please PM me and don't just post in the thread that you want the knife.

BTW, if you want to know why I'm selling these, two reasons:

1) I'm broke and am keeping my cheaper knives for now.
2) I have audio equipment to pay for.

Oh no... I don't need another gyuto, I don't need another gyuto... must look away....

BTW, if you want to know why I'm selling these, two reasons:

1) I'm broke and am keeping my cheaper knives for now.

I thought I knew you....

Now there's an expensive habit. I know.

Lol, I know. Weird that one of the biggest fans of Heijis is selling his. Honestly, I think I may someday pick up another. A Heiji 300mm suji? That'd be sweet.

This stings, but the 210 suji is sold pending payment.

Oh and about the audio equipment, I'm being beyond careful. I don't even lurk on forums, I just check the many forums through google searches for bits of info on good-entry level stuff and leave. Audio stuff can make knives look very cheap.

Oh and about the audio equipment, I'm being beyond careful. I don't even lurk on forums, I just check the many forums through google searches for bits of info on good-entry level stuff and leave. Audio stuff can make knives look very cheap.

You know about audiogon.com of course?

I'm going to have to PM you if that's ok pitonboy.

Just a heads up, I don't have the boxes for these knives right now. They're a few thousand miles across the country. Hope that's ok for people interested in buying them.

Just wanted to add that if the gyuto doesn't sell in a few days, I'll probably pull it from the BST for now at least. I have another knife I may sell in its place (Rottman/Tilman Leder 260 SB1/Niolox gyuto).

One last edit: suji is SOLD!

Damn, good thing this all took place before I even got outta bed.
I prolly would snagged up that Suji, and lord knows I don't need it!

Congrats on the sale.

I hope the other one goes soon as well, it's a good price on such a nice combo.

Giving this Heiji one last bump before I consider selling another in its place.

That's a really nice looking gyuto, and love the ho-blonde ferrule handle. Also, to me Jon gets great geometry on his Gesshins, doesn't he. Sorry can't buy it, though.

I say you should keep it.

Oh no... I don't need another gyuto, I don't need another gyuto... must look away....

Len, as you're recently engaged, I can only hope you're not the same with your fiancee as you are with knives! :biggrin:

I am fickle with my knives so that I am not fickle elsewhere in life ;)

Would love to pick up this Heiji, but I can't do it at this time. I'm sure whoever picks it up will be very happy though!

ugh such bad timing. my second job is very slow so it will take some time, hope it sells first.

I'm bringing this one back to people's attention. Marko's practice knife sale was too good for me to pass up :)laugh:), so I am again without money for the audio equipment :)().

It hurts, but the Heijis are both SOLD.

Back