something new for me

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Delbert Ealy

Reaction score
So I have a bit of an odd story for you guys, with a happy ending.
I have a friend (Gordon) who works at the local lumberyard that had an anvil in his dads old shop(he was an antique dealer) and while we were talking one day he asked if I might be interested in it. Of course I was, but I wanted to know how big it was. He said it was quite big, but this spring he looked it over and found 220 marked on it. I got excited because my current anvil is about half of that. He works at the lumberyard, but also does some odd jobs as well and we havn't been able to get together to pick up the anvil. It is definately a 2 person job.
So back to the present. Yesterday I was working on finishing knives and I noticed that I was almost out of the sandpaper I use. So I decided to make a trip into town to get some sandpaper and I see Gordon on a bike going the other way. This bothers me a bit because its something I have never seen. So I turn around and ask him if he is riding for exercise or as transportation. It is the latter. So I tell him to put the bike in the car and I'll give him a ride. He tells me that both of his vehicles are in the shop. We go check on his truck, which isn't finished and I say I'll give him a ride home. He says why don't you grab the sandpaper while you are in town, and we do. In the midst of this he asks if I have a little time, I say I do. So we went to get the anvil and take it back to my house. He got to see my shop and we talked knives for a few. Then I took him home.
So here is my new toy, along with my current one for scale.
The face needs a little love, but after that she will see regular use.
my anvil.jpgnew anvil.jpg

Yeah, I didn't move it by myself and when it goes up on the block, I'll have some help. It's well over 200 lbs.
Del

Sweet! I have been lookin' for a big one for some time now, A little lovin' and it'll be in top shape!

Was at an anvil shoot last week, we figure a 125 pounder close to 280 feet straight up! Had to dig the damn thing out of the dirt though! Hahaha!

Back