Quantcast
Cut To The Quick
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 14 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Cut To The Quick

Cut To The Quick

OK, so here's one I haven't seen. Given you guys are so into knives and sharpening knives you must all, at one time or another, cut yourselves. There's even a saying that a knife is not truly yours until it's tasted your blood. So my question to you all is what's the worst cut you ever inflicted on yourself, how often do you wind up cutting yourself and where is the most typical place you cut yourself (i.e. finger, knuckle, palm, etc.).
    Please visit my store at www.dreamburls.com Imagine the possibilities!
    Email me at service@dreamburls.com
    Visit our Facebook page at www.facebook.com/dream.burls
    All sales are backed with a no questions asked money back guarantee.

I chopped off fingernail a few times. Its quite annoying if the missing piece is lost and you cannot superglue it back on place.

Fingers are the bastards that get in the way for me, most of the time.

I usually wind up cutting the top of my left middle knuckle when i lift the blade a little too high while dicing. Also have a tendency to slit the pad of a finger when I'm drying off the blade.
    Please visit my store at www.dreamburls.com Imagine the possibilities!
    Email me at service@dreamburls.com
    Visit our Facebook page at www.facebook.com/dream.burls
    All sales are backed with a no questions asked money back guarantee.

I officially 'own' all my knives. Seems I cut myself on both hands equally, usually while drying my knife (right hand) or carelessness while cutting (left hand).
    one man gathers what another man spills...

I actually cut myself very rarely despite having sharp knives, you get used to it very quickly. Worst time was when I was peeling a turnip and I was peeling it like it was a big potato if you can visualise that. The turnip was hard as hell and took a lot of force and I didn't see a big mushy bit in it, so the paring knife went straight into my thumb and left a cut about 3 inches long and I had to go to the treatment room. No stitches though, I was lucky

Fortunately, I don't do much damage to myself. When I do, it's usually a minor nick or something similar. The last significant one was when I shaved my knuckle. Took a lot of quik clot and superglue to keep that one sorted out until it healed.

I had to have the end of my thumb reattached a couple of years ago, I just taped it back on then went to the doctor a few days later, they wanted to do surgery the next day; oddly that was the start of this knife obsession for me. I was cleaning a knife once and ran my fingertip down the length of the edge; about a month ago I dropped a petty and tried to catch it out of reflex, I now have a good lumpy scar on my middle finger; I occasionally shave bits of fingernail off, but never go through. I don't really cut myself often, but when I do it can be bad.

I need to find a good tissue adhesive that can withstand hand washing and last for at least a day, I have tried NuSkin but that stuff is useless.

I was trying to get a gyuto "Salty Tomato Test" sharp. It was actually at the right level of tooth/sharpness. And while showing off to myself (fast dicing a tomato), my dog came crashing into my patio door, scaring the crap out of me and I took off my index and middle fingers' first knuckles. That sucked!

I also went through the pit of an avocado and sliced my whole palm with my Pettysuki. Other than that, though, In general, I'm pretty good. Oh, I buried the heel of my Marr gyuto into my thumb pad once, just placing it onto my board. It slipped, and I pushed the wrong part to get it back into place.

Do shaving injuries count? I was quickly shaving with my old Böker King Cutter and I don't really know what happened, but I ended up taking a mm chunk out of my earlobe. But, nah...I never cut myself.
    09/06

Take a look around at: www.sharpandshinyshop.com

Email me at: tmclean@sharpandshinyshop.com

Tom Gray, Seagrove, NC

Engorged Member
    I've had 28 stitches in both my thumbs(hand work mishaps), and my index finger is a "touch" shorter on my right hand compared to my left(onion slipped). I used to carry duck tape and super glue in my kit. BUT nothing in my opinion hurts worse than a burnt finger tip...
    "So you want to be a vegetarian? Hitler was a vegetarian and look at how he turned out."

+ Reply to Thread