yanagi takohiki fuguhiki

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

toko

Reaction score
hi everyone i was wondering which style of traditional single bevel blades to buy and wich would be best for multipurpose seafood slicing

i have read that the takohiki style originated in tokyo and the yanagi style was founded in osaka

when looking at the two i like the flatness on the tako style but i think that the yanagi tip is more versatile

not sure what would be the best option to buy without getting both.

thoughts ?

what would your choice be?

:chin:

I have both and would definitely start with a yanagi. I bought a tako first, but I find the yanagi to be way more versatile. It is an excellent introduction to single bevel knives.

Good question, though maybe answered elsewhere before? I've never checked ... At any rate, I was wondering about the differences too.

In Japanese, octopus is 'tako' and so without thinking about it too much, in the past I always thought a takohiki had some connection to cutting up octopi.

yes i had the same thoughts about the takohiki being related to the octopi and weather it was the main purpose but reading about it states that the tip was used to maneuver around the legs with more ease than having a yanagi tip.

i think i over thought it too haha

yes it means octopus knife and the fugubiki is for.......

Fuguhiki is for delicate cutting used for slicing puffer fish and is a more flexible blade

yes it means octopus knife and the fugubiki is for.......

I like that. Doesn't fugubiki sound better than fuguhiki? Takohiki makes me think of octopi, but a fugubiki must have something to do with bikinis.

Haha maby its cross between a fugu and a bikini

Back