Help me decide on my first gyuto please!!!

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pandoobie

Reaction score
Hello!

I recently found a passion for cooking, and ,naturally, I would like to buy my first gyuto for my chopping needs :biggrin:
Please give me advice as to what's good out there.

What type of knife(s) do you think you want?
Gyuto

Why is it being purchased? What, if anything, are you replacing?
My first real knife. I've been using a victorinox chef's knife

What do you like and dislike about these qualities of your knives already?
Aesthetics- pretty simple design. not much to say about it
Edge Quality/Retention- decent. Get's kinda dull after a few uses
Ease of Use- Not really sure what to compare it to, but it hasn't been too difficult on me
Comfort- Handle is pretty comfortable

What grip do you use?
pinch grip

What kind of cutting motion do you use?
primarily push cut but I also use the walking technique when I have to mince garlic and some herbs

Where do you store them?
I just have one of those magnetic edge guards and keep it in my drawer, but I will be especially careful with the new knife. I'll probably get a saya with it

Have you ever oiled a handle?
No, but I am not opposed to the idea

What kind of cutting board(s) do you use?
Plastic for chicken and an end-grain maple cutting block for most other things.

For edge maintenance, do you use a strop, honing rod, pull through/other, or nothing?
I was planning on getting a MAC black ceramic honing rod with the new knife. (Not sure if that's the best but I will gladly take recommendations on that as well!)

Have they ever been sharpened?
No

What is your budget?
250 and under

What do you cook and how often?
I cook a variety of things, but I like to cook stir fry to work on my cutting skills. How often I cook really depends on my class schedule. If I have a week full of exams and papers, I'll just make myself a sandwich.

Special requests(Country of origin/type of wood/etc)?
I would prefer a Japanese knife. I'm not really sure about the handle. I've tried western and D shaped handles but not the octagonal ones.

I've been looking the miyabi fusion. A knife reviewer (zknives?) said it was a pretty good knife for the price, but it's gone up since that review. I really like the damascus pattern on the knife but I also recognize that it probably doesn't serve much of a function. I've looked around for a while now but I'm just not sure what's good and what isn't. I would really appreciate your help!!

Thanks guys!

Also, I forgot to mention but I would like the knife to be 240 mm please. I think 270 mm is too big ._.

If I were in your shoes, I would get either a Suisin Inox for western handles (JKI) or Inazuma (JCK) for octagonal handle. The Suisin is a great cutter and I think it's simple but elegant. The steel is very forgiving and takes a nice edge. The fit and finish on the Inazuma is a touch below the Suisin but it is very nice cutter and it has the forge welded outer layers that you said you liked. The edge holding on either is far superior to what you're currently using.

If I were in your shoes, I would get either a Suisin Inox for western handles (JKI) or Inazuma (JCK) for octagonal handle. The Suisin is a great cutter and I think it's simple but elegant. The steel is very forgiving and takes a nice edge. The fit and finish on the Inazuma is a touch below the Suisin but it is very nice cutter and it has the forge welded outer layers that you said you liked. The edge holding on either is far superior to what you're currently using.

Thanks tk59! Just a few questions if you don't mind, what do you mean by the fit isn't as nice? Is it that there are some loose parts on the knife or are there gaps? Also, how's the edge on the Inazuma out of the box? I don't really have the money or time to invest in sharpening materials right now but they will definitely be an addition later on.

Back