Sorry...another "what would you recommend" thread

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

VanIsleSteve

Reaction score
So I need some advice, I am a novice at home cook that has been using some pos department store knives for as long as I have been cooking and have come to the conclusion that I will not settle any more. Time to upgrade. I will answer the questions that I know the answers to

What type of knife(s) do you think you want? Not sure

Why is it being purchased? What, if anything, are you replacing? Need to upgrade from a cheap henkle and even cheaper santoku

What do you like and dislike about these qualities of your knives already? Like the feel of the santoku, not sure why, just do

What grip do you use? No idea

Where do you store them? Drawer in plastic sleeve

Have you ever oiled a handle? No

What kind of cutting board(s) do you use? Plastic

For edge maintenance, do you use a strop, honing rod, pull through/other, or nothing? Pull through, but would like a stone

Have they ever been sharpened? yes

What is your budget? 150 stone included, if possible

What do you cook and how often? Little bit of everything, most nights

Please let it be known that I live in Canada and duties/taxes can be murder. Thanks in advance

Welcome! There are many knowledgeable Canadians here who I am sure will chime in with what/where to purchase. Good luck in your quest and be sure to check out the b/s/t section once you have a better idea what you would like.

Welcome to the forum.

No need to be sorry about asking for advice on knife.

You might get more helpful answers if you provide more information about your knifes. You note that they are pos. Is there anything specific you don't like about them? They never stay sharp, they wedge in food, etc....

Also knowing the type of food, you like to prepare, helps in making recommendations. If your a vegetarian, a nakiri, is a good choice. Eat a lot of fruit? Then you would probably want a stainless or semi-stainless knife. Like to dabble in variety of cuisines? Then you should consider a work horse gyuto.

Do you any special needs? You cook for a lot of people, but only have access to a small kitchen.

Good luck in your search for a new knife.

Jay

The reason that I don't like the knives is a couple things, the feel cheap and they don't hold an edge. I cook a little of everything, mostly veggies and meats. I cook for 3 most of the time and have a large kitchen. I am thinking a gyuto as they seem to have the most versatility. I would like to start off with something low maintenance if possible. I will learn to sharpen on the existing knives that I have. Thanks

So, likely stainless, 240 with decent edge retention, and guessing western handle? Leaves a few good options and still enough cash to get a starter stone. Have you seen the Fujiwara knives? They are very nice for entry level, have good f&f and something you can learn to sharpen on fairly easily, with the added benefit of leaving some cash for a stone. $7 shipping, though not sure what will happen once it gets to Canada.

http://japanesechefsknife.com/FKMSeries.html#WIDTH: 400px; HEIGHT: 236px

Sounds like you just want a good knife. Don't over think it. Any of a huge number of knives will be a vast improvement, and if you don't love it, you can sell pretty much anything on here.

I'd keep an eye on SharpandShinyShop.com if buying Canadian is really big for you. Tom is a great guy, and that site is bound to have a wide variety of stuff available.

Welcome!

Fujiwara and Carbonext are usually up there for best bang for the buck knives while still being awesome. Shipping with JCK is cheap as well.

Do you live close to a Lee Valley? Stop by there and pick up a King combo stone. That shouldn't set you back much at all. They aren't top of the line stones but they will be good enough and many here have learned on them.

Fujiwara and Carbonext are usually up there for best bang for the buck knives while still being awesome. Shipping with JCK is cheap as well...
+1. I also like the Pro M series.

I can tell that Shun's don't get much love around here, but how would the Shun Premiere compare to CarboNext? I can get the Shun local for about the same $$.

Also, what is the Pro M Series?

Back