cooking in Korea

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

slowtyper

Reaction score
anyone know anything about getting a job cooking in Korea? my girl may be going back there for a year next year and just starting to think about them possibility of going there. I don't speak they language nor have formal culinary school training.

I wouldn't need to make a ton, just get some different experience.

I'm also not white, and this sounds weird to add but it has helped a couple of my friends get jobs in other Asian countries.

Hey 'slowtyper' (must have taken ages for you to write that)

I'm in Korea but don't work in the trade. Still now and then I interview a few cooks/chefs who are usually trying to get visas to work in Australia. Anyway, if I encounter some again I will try and ask. I can't really answer your question, though, because if I do run into them I usually ask them about the knives they use. ;)

I doubt you'd make much if work was possible here. Also, Koreans certainly respect qualifications and names, so that would be important, and unfortunately you don't have that culinary qualification. As for visas to work, they're probably not easy to get and any place would need to have a good reason to pay and arrange one for you, if it's possible. In truth, I don't think you'll find many foreigners in kitchens here; if so they would be 'the exec chef' and a big deal, or married to locals and operating their own businesses. Korea is still a very Korean place filled with Koreans cooking in Korean restaurants.

Like I said, I will try and remember to ask. If you don't hear from me, please send a pm to remind me.

Back