SALE on Saya Materials - Lots of new sets just added.

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Burl Source

Weird Wood Pusher
Reaction score
For this weekend all the Saya making materials in our store are on sale.
I just finished adding a bunch of new matching sets so there are about two dozen sets to choose from.
These are book matched sets of really nice figured woods. Perfect for making Sayas (wooden sheath) for your kitchen knives or maybe use for other projects where you need matching, thin cut pieces.

This Link will take you to where they are located in the store.

Free Shipping Worldwide - Money Back Guarantee
Forum members and repeat customers can have an additional discount on top of the already discounted sale prices.

If you are a member of the knife forums you can have an additional 10% discount off your purchase by entering the letters forum in the field that asks if you have a promotional code during checkout.

If you are a repeat customer you can have an additional 20% discount off your purchase by entering the letters repeat in the field that asks if you have a promotional code during checkout. I felt that my repeat customers should be given a slightly larger discount.

These small photos show the sets available at the time of this posting.

6114.jpg
6115.jpg
6113.jpg
6112.jpg
6111.jpg
6109.jpg
6110.jpg
6108.jpg
6106.jpg
6107.jpg
6105.jpg
6104.jpg
6102.jpg
6103.jpg
6101.jpg
6100.jpg
3919.jpg
3916.jpg
3917.jpg
2792.jpg
2798.jpg
2788.jpg
2790.jpg

There's some mighty purty pieces there!

A few have already gone away to one of the forum members here.
I know the photos are not the best but the top row are really good maple, 3rd row far right is some of the "Best" redwood burl and the fourth row is Flamed Redwood from the old door. The walnut and other pieces are real nice as well. There isn't anything here that I would hesitate to use on one of my good knives.

I'm just in the last stages of making a saya from some nicely figured maple that I got from Mark back when he started doing these, and I think that it is going to be pretty fancy! It is going on a 220 gyuto with some spalted maple burl also from Mark. Details at 11!

Hey Mark, is this material suitable for carving, or would you recommend only going with the spacer route?

Hey Mark, is this material suitable for carving, or would you recommend only going with the spacer route?

I have used the flamed redwood and it was difficult to carve with chisels. I ended up going for the dremel and a paddle wheel to hollow out the cavity. I would go spacer method if I did it again.

The figured maple can be challenging to carve as well!

Any wood other than straight grain wood can be difficult to carve using chisels.
Sharp tools and remove very little material at a time and it is possible to carve figured wood with hand tools.
Me.......I don't have the patience so I do the spacer thing with the ones I have made. I am still experimenting though.

With that said;
Should I start cutting an extra piece of thin spacer material to go with the saya sets?

I am going to cut up some of this for saya materials.
a002.jpg

And maybe some flamed maple my boss purchased yesterday for me.
A local guy had a few slabs he found stashed in a barn.
Looks like they were cut with a dull shovel but I should get some good wood from them.

Latest posts

Back