Quantcast
Masamoto KK or Gesshin Hinde Yanagi? or other recommendation (up to $700)
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 11

Thread: Masamoto KK or Gesshin Hinde Yanagi? or other recommendation (up to $700)

  1. #1

    Masamoto KK or Gesshin Hinde Yanagi? or other recommendation (up to $700)

    Hey guys im still trying to figure our which one I should get for when I start working at the bar.
    Im left handed so im willing to invest about $700, im looking for a yanagi that would hold its edge and is easy to maintain.
    I know Korin is having their 10% sale starting tomorrow so I need to know asap!
    Thanks for all the help folks!

  2. #2
    Senior Member

    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Toronto
    Posts
    543
    I do have to ask this question:

    Do you have experience with one before? Do you know how you plan on having it sharpening?

    No matter what your going to have a higher cost than a righty but if your just learning to use one and learning to sharpen single bevel knives, spending 700 won't be worth it.

  3. #3

    knyfeknerd's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Charlotte, NC AKA The Queen City! The lint-filled belly button of the south.
    Posts
    2,709
    You're in L.A.? You should go see Jon at JKI when he and Sara get back from Japan. He can set you up with something perfect.
    Even if you order from Korin, since it's a lefty you probably will have to wait for it. Maybe PM Mari( a member here) and see which ones they actually have in stock.
    If "Its" and "Buts" was candy and nuts, we'd all have a Merry Christmas
    -Cleon "Slammin'" Salmon

  4. #4
    Quote Originally Posted by jm2hill View Post
    I do have to ask this question:

    Do you have experience with one before? Do you know how you plan on having it sharpening?

    No matter what your going to have a higher cost than a righty but if your just learning to use one and learning to sharpen single bevel knives, spending 700 won't be worth it.
    Yes, i actually have a yanagi right now but its a cheapy from japan. I practiced sharpening it but my sensai taught me to sharpen the bevel flat from the shinogi to the edge.
    I will be sharpening by hamaguri on my next knife. What would u recommend for a good starter knife that would hold up its edge during working hours?

  5. #5
    Quote Originally Posted by knyfeknerd View Post
    You're in L.A.? You should go see Jon at JKI when he and Sara get back from Japan. He can set you up with something perfect.
    Even if you order from Korin, since it's a lefty you probably will have to wait for it. Maybe PM Mari( a member here) and see which ones they actually have in stock.
    To think about it, i think i should just wait for jon to get back from japan. I have so much to ask him and I would be able to get a feel for the knives at the store to see which ones i like.

  6. #6
    Senior Member

    SpikeC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    PDX
    Posts
    3,733
    That is a wise choice!
    Spike C
    "The Buddha resides as comfortably in the circuits of a digital computer or the gears of a cycle transmission as he does at the top of a mountain."
    Pirsig

  7. #7

  8. #8
    Senior Member

    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    San Diego, CA
    Posts
    4,217
    Gesshin Hide is a special line...very well built and ground. For fit and finish, I'd consider Suisin Denshyo line.

  9. #9
    I dont enjoy the handles on Densyo, somewhat big - especially annoying on yanagi.
    How much would that be for lefty masamoto KK?

    You better go to Jon, and touch some knives first.

    BUT

    There is some mess with Yoshikane at the moment[and Maksim on holidays], but anyway for lefty I would order from JNS.com
    When we talked about it, he said clearly, small producers he use dont add extra to the price of lefty-single bevels, cause for them theres no difference.

    The lefty 27cm yanagiba from Yoshikane was at around 300 Dollars!!

    There is one user here who ordered that knife and enjoys it[Birnando]. Waiting time I heard is about a month. The edge on V2 from Yoshikane is spectacular, talk to him about retention.

  10. #10
    Senior Member

    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    San Diego, CA
    Posts
    4,217
    Quote Originally Posted by bieniek View Post
    I dont enjoy the handles on Densyo, somewhat big - especially annoying on yanagi...
    I don't remember them being all that large. However, I do remember feeling that the knife was almost molded to my hand.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •