Masamoto KK or Gesshin Hinde Yanagi? or other recommendation (up to $700)

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hey guys im still trying to figure our which one I should get for when I start working at the bar.
Im left handed so im willing to invest about $700, im looking for a yanagi that would hold its edge and is easy to maintain.
I know Korin is having their 10% sale starting tomorrow so I need to know asap!
Thanks for all the help folks!

I do have to ask this question:

Do you have experience with one before? Do you know how you plan on having it sharpening?

No matter what your going to have a higher cost than a righty but if your just learning to use one and learning to sharpen single bevel knives, spending 700 won't be worth it.

You're in L.A.? You should go see Jon at JKI when he and Sara get back from Japan. He can set you up with something perfect.
Even if you order from Korin, since it's a lefty you probably will have to wait for it. Maybe PM Mari( a member here) and see which ones they actually have in stock.

I do have to ask this question:

Do you have experience with one before? Do you know how you plan on having it sharpening?

No matter what your going to have a higher cost than a righty but if your just learning to use one and learning to sharpen single bevel knives, spending 700 won't be worth it.

Yes, i actually have a yanagi right now but its a cheapy from japan. I practiced sharpening it but my sensai taught me to sharpen the bevel flat from the shinogi to the edge.
I will be sharpening by hamaguri on my next knife. What would u recommend for a good starter knife that would hold up its edge during working hours?

You're in L.A.? You should go see Jon at JKI when he and Sara get back from Japan. He can set you up with something perfect.
Even if you order from Korin, since it's a lefty you probably will have to wait for it. Maybe PM Mari( a member here) and see which ones they actually have in stock.

To think about it, i think i should just wait for jon to get back from japan. I have so much to ask him and I would be able to get a feel for the knives at the store to see which ones i like.

Gesshin Hide is a special line...very well built and ground. For fit and finish, I'd consider Suisin Denshyo line.

I dont enjoy the handles on Densyo, somewhat big - especially annoying on yanagi.
How much would that be for lefty masamoto KK?

You better go to Jon, and touch some knives first.

BUT

There is some mess with Yoshikane at the moment[and Maksim on holidays], but anyway for lefty I would order from JNS.com
When we talked about it, he said clearly, small producers he use dont add extra to the price of lefty-single bevels, cause for them theres no difference.

The lefty 27cm yanagiba from Yoshikane was at around 300 Dollars!!

There is one user here who ordered that knife and enjoys it[Birnando]. Waiting time I heard is about a month. The edge on V2 from Yoshikane is spectacular, talk to him about retention.

I dont enjoy the handles on Densyo, somewhat big - especially annoying on yanagi...

I don't remember them being all that large. However, I do remember feeling that the knife was almost molded to my hand.

Maybe its just me, the owner of the knife [I had it for like a month] said he loved it also.
There was nothing wrong with the handle apart from the fact it felt little big

Back