The soba dance!

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Korin_Mari

Reaction score
This isn't really a recap of the Gohan Society's Aki Matsuri, but it is from the event.

Chef Kotani at the Aki Matsuri preparing handmade soba for all of the guests that night. The video below is him rolling out the soba and cutting it with the menkiri-bocho (the noodle knife). Sorry it's a little low res. My camera wasn't at the right setting. :(

[video=youtube_share;8kjJcCw9yz4]http://youtu.be/8kjJcCw9yz4[/video]
[video=youtube;KPjmF0otA9U]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KPjmF0otA9U&feature=youtu.be[/video]

I fought my way to the front of the crowd in hopes that people here would like it. I hope you enjoy! :)

That was pretty cool; thanks for posting.

The ingenuity of some Japanese craftsmen is amazing. I wonder who it was long ago that realized you could roll out a huge dough on a small space with 2-3 rolling pins.

We were talking to the big boss about this earlier in the week. '

He talked about how dry the dough is, saying that an amateur will find it just crumbles, that he tried a dozen times and it was always bad. Basically that if you think making the tomago-yaki for sushi bar takes practice...this is way harder.

We were talking to the big boss about this earlier in the week. '

He talked about how dry the dough is, saying that an amateur will find it just crumbles, that he tried a dozen times and it was always bad. Basically that if you think making the tomago-yaki for sushi bar takes practice...this is way harder.

Yea the dough is incredibly dry. I had the pleasure of watching chef Kotani make soba before the event. He has to make it REALLY fast and knead everything out quickly before it crumbles. He was also saying how temperature is makes a huge difference too. Because the event space was too humid and hot, it was hard to roll the soba out.

Not for nothing but... Tamago-yaki is hard too. LOL I always try, but end up with scrambled eggs.

Yes! I love food history. I wish there was more information on where and how food originated. :[

Back