Don't you hate it when...

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mattrud

Founding Member
Reaction score
You have no knives to sharpen!!!! So today is my day off and for some strange reason I enjoy sharpening knives (I know you guys will understand). I brought three knives home but two only needed to be touched up and I sharpened the other one in no time. ***!!! All of my knives at home are sharpened and I really can not justify grinding away steel just because I want to sharpen.

This sucks:mad3:

Maybe it is time to start a new sharpening project.

If you weren't 6,000 miles away I would have a few projects for you... :wink:

Stefan

And I would gladly accept, I am seriously considering taking my gear to the restaurant to sharpen everyones gear one of these days (yes I am insane). But at the same time if I do it for them once maybe it will get them to take more interest in it themselves. Most of my guys sharpen but maybe one or two can do it well.

Don't you have some nice neighbor ladies who would enjoy having their edges honed?

Don't you have some nice neighbor ladies who would enjoy having their edges honed?

+1. You might end up doing what you love for a living. I heard many a pilot tell me that they "get paid to do what they'd pay to do--if they weren't getting paid to do it".

I know the problem... You simply don't have enough knives! Might I suggest a solution... :)
-M

Don't you dare Michael! Let me use the first one I got from you for a while before I have to get another :). Your damascus blades are looking quite nice.....

Ha ha. Suppose you will just have to take care of the neighbor ladies then. They like their edges real keen if you know what I mean.
Um, that was kinda dumb... Duh
-M

Ha ha. Suppose you will just have to take care of the neighbor ladies then. They like their edges real keen if you know what I mean.
Um, that was kinda dumb... Duh
-M

It is very important to understand how to hone edges.....

Time to move on to straight razors Matt!

It actually is happening to me this week, have it all off from work cause of eastern...
Three times already ive been checking all of my knives at home for any imprefections - and i have 8 of them. I also sharpened all of the scissors at home, but it still isnt enough!

Actually, as a relative noob, I'm afraid to sharpen my 'better' knives -- spent last weekend going after more forgiving stuff (old Sabatier carbon, Henckels petty, etc) and avoiding trying to sharpen my Tadatsuna cleaver... which I really want to do! It's right-hand biased like 90/10, and I've never sharpened knives like that. But the temptation!

....and avoiding trying to sharpen my Tadatsuna cleaver... which I really want to do! It's right-hand biased like 90/10, and I've never sharpened knives like that. But the temptation!

Hit the stones lengthwise - it's very stable this way. Do it man! :thumbsup:

cleaver sharpen.JPG

cleaver sharpen2.JPG

You got to start using your knives for them to get dull. I got a great idea, send me your knives and I'll send them back to you dull...maybe I'll throw in a few small chips for you just to keep you busy

trust me I don't believe in drawer queens. But I only use on knife at a time Man.

In some weird, twisted way, this sounds like a good suggestion. I have the same problem. I get pissed when friends and family come to visit and don't bring their knives with them for sharpening.

Dave -- thanks for the pointer, I successfully re-sharpened my Tadatsuna and am happily chopping away once again. Sharpening is such an interesting exercise, as there's no "perfect" achievable, just whatever's satisfying for the given knife or usage.

Back