Quantcast
Moritaka Gyutou versus Masakage Koishi AS - Page 2
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Moritaka Gyutou versus Masakage Koishi AS

Quote Originally Posted by ecchef View Post
    Maybe it's just the photo, but that Masakage profile looks like a continuous arc.
    i think it's barrel distortion.

I don't know. Looks like a rocker?

Quote Originally Posted by Salty dog View Post
    I don't know. Looks like a rocker?
    it's possible that it's like a Tanaka. i know Hattorichop owns one, maybe he can chim in. i'm kinda interested in getting one, as three kurouchi gyutos just isn't enough.

Been interested in one of these Masakage's too. I also would like to here more about the knife from Karl. He used to call it his favorite gyuto

There is some flat in the knife towards the heel but I do have to alter my push cut slightly to eliminate accordiaing.
    Maybe I should just start a pass around and let you all decide for yourselfs.

How are you liking your Kato suji Mike?

I use a Moritaka (2 actually-240 gyuto and 150 petty) as my main work knives and have seen absolutely no issues with the grind on either. I have the Aogami Super series so you're looking at little more money (around $210-230 for the gyuto) but I can definitely say that I am a fan.

-Kriegs

Love the suji Karl Cuts great and has enough blade height to be an all arounder. It is also asthetically very much what I like in a knife. My 270mm Moritaka gyuto is also a very fun knife, great cutter, easy to sharpen, and fantastic edge retention, also not an overgrind in sight. I would recommend buying a special order Moritaka they seem to give them more attention than the off the shelf items.

Quote Originally Posted by Hattorichop View Post
    There is some flat in the knife towards the heel but I do have to alter my push cut slightly to eliminate accordiaing.

How are you liking your Kato suji Mike?

Beyond the issue of over-grind on Moritakas (which can happen on any knife from any maker - I have two high end knives that have over ground tips that crumble when sharpening), the cladding they use is highly reactive. Their kuouchi finish is not very durable and easily comes off, thus exposing the cladding that reacts with food (at least in my experiences). I have a 180 petty that I love and use regularly, but it requires constant cleaning and drying and doesn't get along with some foods.
    Shibui - simplicity devoid of unnecessary elements

Quote Originally Posted by Hattorichop View Post

i, for one, would love to try it.

+ Reply to Thread