Misono Hankotsu

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shankster

Founding Member
Reaction score
Greetngs to all.

just wondering if anyone has had any experience with Misono's Swedish carbon or Molybdenum Hankotsu?

I don't have experience with those particular hankotsu. Though I've owned the Sakai Takayuki Grand Chef 150mm Hankotsu for quite some time now.

I do, I have the Swedish carbon, love it! Takes abuse like a champ. Even dropped it tip down in blacktop once (slipped out of a saya >:[, go figure) no chips, no problem!

No experience with the hankotsu, but I have both gyutos and I love them both! The moly is a great lightweight knife with scary sharp potential.
The swede just feels a bit more impressive and feels amazing on the stones. It's held a great edge for a long time for me. It definitely takes some abuse, with no real complaints.

I have the Misono Swedish hankotsu and it's held up well fabricating primal cuts at work for over a year. The tip on this knife is almost indestructible.

Thanks for the replies everyone! The reason I ask about these particular hankotsu is I might be getting a job at a local butcher shop(a nice change of pace for me)and I can purchase them locally. I already own a Moritaka honesuki. Would it be overkill to own both styles of boners or do they function differently. I have 0 experience with a hankotsu BTW.

I would suggest the fujiwara kanefusa. Fkm model to get something you can "beat on" and use a steel or ceramic stick. Through the day. A super hard blade imo for all day butchering is not ideal if your doing any volume. Fkm will need a bit of thinning and I use mine at. 70/30 edge and leave a 6k finish no polishing/stropping. N

The Misono swede is 60hrc and durable as all hell.
I love it, but you know that.

It's never overkill. That's like asking a crackhead if he has one too many rocks. :scared1:

Honesuki is an excellent poultry knife and does that job well but struggles when fabricating meats that require you to take silver skin off because of it's width where the Hankotsu excels at this. The Hankotsu can be used to fabricate poultry but it too struggles when cracking through bones or ligaments simply because of the lack of blade height.

I don't agree with that. Honesuki is frigging awesome at tenderloins and silverskin.
[video=youtube;hAt6LP_sEFo]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hAt6LP_sEFo[/video]

I've heard of people using honesukis as multi-tasker/ everything knives.
I have always been under the impression they're solid for most tasks....

ive never used a hankotsu but i feel that if you knife hand ever got a little wet or slimy from the chicken (or whatever) it could slip down the knife and slice you up good. maybe that could or couldn't happen but if i ended up with one i would probably over-think it and it would happen to me. :D

honesuki are much better choices as i have used them for tenderloins as in theory's video and countless other tasks with fabrication of whole pigs, goats, lamb, etc. a much better all-around choice imo

It's never overkill. That's like asking a crackhead if he has one too many rocks. :scared1:

I guess you're right,even though I haven't yet reached "crackhead" status when it comes to collecting knives :D

ive never used a hankotsu but i feel that if you knife hand ever got a little wet or slimy from the chicken (or whatever) it could slip down the knife and slice you up good. maybe that could or couldn't happen but if i ended up with one i would probably over-think it and it would happen to me. :D

honesuki are much better choices as i have used them for tenderloins as in theory's video and countless other tasks with fabrication of whole pigs, goats, lamb, etc. a much better all-around choice imo

The edge on most hankotsu doesn't start till about 1"-1.5" up the blade for that very reason.

Back