Quantcast
Rounding the spine... - Page 2
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Rounding the spine...

For a backer for sanding, there are a few things to use. WoodCraft and other wood working places sell a hard felt block or a cork block, which work well for backers. Or you can get those rubber sanding things that have a flat bottom and are curved on the top with the little spikes in a slit in the rubber on each side that hold sand paper inside the slits. I buy them and then cut them in thirds so I have the solid flat piece from the middle. Very firm and works well as a backer for sanding. I keep one long end square and I round the other long end.

I've got one of those rubber thingies....somewhere. Haven't seen it in about 15 years though! Why remove the part that you attach it with though?
    Remember: You're a unique individual...just like everybody else.

It can be used as is, but for me, it's easier to cut it into a smaller section, and it gives more pressure over a smaller area. Works nicely when shaping handles or polishing bolsters and lets me get into tighter areas. For rounding the spine, using it as is should work, but with the blade polishing and handle work, I like it smaller.

That makes sense, thanks Taz!
    Remember: You're a unique individual...just like everybody else.

My 3M wet/dry came with a kind of firm rubber sponge block to act as a 'backer'. Seems fine for the purpose. Of course you can use the ends or side or face depending on the pressure you want to exert.

+ Reply to Thread