Quantcast
JMJones Knives passaround- 240 Wa gyuto - Page 4
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: JMJones Knives passaround- 240 Wa gyuto

Thanks! I'll pm my info
    "This is grain, which any fool can eat, but for which the Lord intended a more divine means of consumption.. Beer!" -Robin Hood, Prince of Thieves, Friar Tuck

Charlotte, NC AKA The Queen City! The lint-filled belly button of the south.
    I got the chance to use John's knife all this past week at work. I'm usually a 270 or larger kinda guy, but I have used smaller in the past. I tried to use this as my main knife or "workhorse" this week so I could give it an honest review in a pro kitchen. I'm still somewhat new to serious knife knerd-dom, but I'll try to give this a fairly "intelligent sounding" write-up.
    First impressions: Looks pretty good. Good rounding on the spine and choil, very comfortable knife to hold. Not really a fan of the handle though. I know it's an EE, but it feels a little too large for this particular knife. It is properly mounted. I'm probably a little biased because I have small hands.
    The profile is a little different than anything I've seen or used before. The "drop" down on the spine(or curve) close to the tip looks a little bit wavy or off, but it does not affect the performance in any way. The cutting edge does appear to be even and usually hits flush with the cutting board, however when performing some push forward cuts I found I was not getting all the way through some items.
    Grind: Good convex, stiction was not an issue at all for me. It does feel like it needs to be quite a bit thinner behind the edge for me.
    The knife felt a little dull to me so I did sharpen it after a couple of days at work. This was a pleasure to sharpen. The metal came off easily and definitely took an extremely sharp edge. I really wanted to thin the edge out, but did not because I am not the owner and don't want to misrepresent JmJones work. Seems to be a good HT too, from what little I understand about heat treating e.g.: Knife stayed sharp and wasn't too flexy or chippy.
    I really put this knife through all the motions this week. I cut all kinds of proteins, raw and cooked. Lots of veg prep too. The knife performed well on all the protein-based tasks and I only encountered a little difficulty doing some veg like fine dice work.
    There is now a decent patina on the knife-thanks all to me. I'd like to try and take some pics in the daylight before I ship this off to pensacolaT.
    All this being said.....
    .....This is a great little knife. I think John did a good job and I'd be proud to have it in my fleet.
    When the passaround is over let me know if you'd be interested in selling it to me. I'd be more than happy to own a knife made by the guy who makes blades while wearing a Red Sox hat!
    Thanks for the opportunity John, I look forward to seeing more work from you.
    Would you please PM me how much to insure this for?
    I'll PM Rick for his addy tonite.
    Thanks for the opportunity
    If "Its" and "Buts" was candy and nuts, we'd all have a Merry Christmas
    -Cleon "Slammin'" Salmon

Knife is on the way today to Zweifel.

I took some pics:

It could be thinner behind the edge, and the tip geometry and profile made using the tip a little difficult.

I sharpened it and the steel took an edge easily.

There is a very, very slight bend to the left, but it did not affect sharpening or using it.

Thanks for the opportunity to use this knife, John.

Rick

MHenry took a pass on this, so it's going to Crothcipt today.

I have been sick for most of the past two weeks so I haven't really gotten a chance to do anything other than play around with it.

Not sure I have anything to say that wasn't said previously.

The tip shape was not my favorite profile, but I dislike anything even vaguely santoku-like.

Though I couldn't see them, I noticed 3 bumps on the spine in the last few inches towards the tip. Doesn't affect the utility of the knife in any way...just something I noticed.

I couldn't tell if the handle was slightly mis-mounted, or the blade had a slight curve (to the left). Didn't affect how the knife handled at all, but I did end up staring at it on several occasions trying to figure out what looked odd.

Spine + choil were nicely rounded, comfortable.

the handle was a little bit taller than the wa-handles in my collection, but about the same width...I like this size/shape. Even though I have smallish hands, I like a somewhat bigger handle.

It's developing a nice patina on its journey. There was a little bit of odor when cutting daikon. There was also a bit of wedging on the daikon...which made me get out my Watanabe Nakiri and Masamoto VG Gyuto...and they wedged about the same.

It's a good cutter and I enjoyed the opportunity to play around with it; I'd be interested in test-driving any future passarounds as well. Thanks John!
    Remember: You're a unique individual...just like everybody else.

wyoming, closer to nowhere than somewhere.
    It showed up today. Still in the box. So, not much to tell, unless you want specs on the box....
    Chewie's the man.

wyoming, closer to nowhere than somewhere.
    I have to apologize, I was planning on sending it out on tues.. But my father passed away on tues.. I had just now remembered this kinife. I will send it out on Mon.. If I can get next in lines addy. please.
    Chewie's the man.

Sorry to hear about your father. My sympathies to you and your family.

Quote Originally Posted by Crothcipt View Post
    I have to apologize, I was planning on sending it out on tues.. But my father passed away on tues.. I had just now remembered this kinife. I will send it out on Mon.. If I can get next in lines addy. please.
    Very sorry to hear this. My condolences to you and your family.
    The AI does not love you, nor does it hate you, but you are made out of atoms it might find useful for something else. - Eliezer Yudkowsky

Sorry to hear Crothcipt.
    one man gathers what another man spills...

I am sorry for your loss.