Quantcast
JMJones Knives passaround- 240 Wa gyuto - Page 5
+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Thread: JMJones Knives passaround- 240 Wa gyuto

Sorry to read that. I hope you're doing ok.
    09/06

Take a look around at: www.sharpandshinyshop.com

Email me at: tmclean@sharpandshinyshop.com

wyoming, closer to nowhere than somewhere.
    Thx everyone for your well wishes. There for a few days it was hard. But I have been getting better.

I sent this off last week sometime. It seems to have reached El Pascador on tues.

On many fronts this knife is very nicely made. But there were a few draw backs that I noticed, and ended up bugging me.

First of all, the handle was big. Not a bad thing but almost to big for the knife, but my big hands didn't mind. The heat treat was very well done. I used it quite a bit at work, and it held pretty much the same edge as when I got it. I debated on weather or not to give it a spruce up, but I opted to not. At this time I don't remember about the sticktation. I liked were the blade convexed in relation to the edge. But as it would go to the tip there was no blending in to the spine creating a odd bump. At that bump the blade would thin out to the tip, creating a fixation point for me. On the whole I liked the knife. With a few more adjustments this would be a very good knife.

There was a few more points I wanted to make but right now seem to have alluded me.
    Chewie's the man.

Engorged Member
    I think that this knife is a good foray into the world custom kitchen knives. The shape is almost there, the grind is ok and the knife works. In a weird sort of way it reminded me of a knockoff Rolex though. It wasn’t…right.

The choil gap was awkward for me to use and never fell right. The square shape was uncomfortable. I couldn’t decide if it was too big or too small. If I choked up using it wasn’t right and the balance was off if I kept on the handle. I would suggest a curved choil, and making the size based on locking your middle finger between the blade and handle.

The bump on the spine drove me crazy. It is the first thing I noticed pulling it out of the box. It isn’t noticeable in the photos, but the bump is there and bothered me, A LOT. Previous posters commented on this, so I know it isn’t just me. I don’t think it affects performance in any way though.

The idea of the grind was right, but the knife was “clunky” and seemed to be a lot thicker than it needed to be, almost western deba-ish. I think that many of the guys that are getting into making kitchen knives after have made other types of knives for a while aren’t comfortable making a knife as thin as it needs to be for it to be a really great cutter. I always think that there is a mentality that kitchen knives are modified camp knives.

Faults aside, this is a really good knife not that far from being great.
    "So you want to be a vegetarian? Hitler was a vegetarian and look at how he turned out."

Checking in to see where the knife is...

Engorged Member
    Last time I checked Len had gotten the knife in Canada.
    "So you want to be a vegetarian? Hitler was a vegetarian and look at how he turned out."

Thanks!

Yep, I've got it and will be doing some testing with it real soon
    Len

checking to see where this knife is...

Thanks

John

Just an update. JMAdams13 had had the knife for three months, has not logged in to KKF since August.

I think this one is a goner.

about 4 possibly more passarounds worth of knives and razors never made it pass that destination.
    I haven't lived the life I wanted, just the lives I needed too at the time.

+ Reply to Thread