Apologies, hope for forum guidance, and reintroduction

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Korin_Mari

Reaction score
Hi everyone!
I just want to apologize for kind of spamming KKF with event information and things of that sort. Things have been absolutely nuts over here for the past two months, between all of the different events, trying to get done all of the great ideas we've left on the back burner forever, our tableware catalog, and constantly updating our website. I have been working for three weeks straight with no weekends, and have no idea what day it is anymore.

I also don't mean to come off as cold, and if any of you have felt that way, I’m very sorry. In person (and anywhere outside of work), I'm a pretty quiet person. Because thinking too hard about something I can’t answer is accomplishing nothing, I decided to reintroduce myself.

With that being said, I am also posting today in hopes for a little guidance from the forum veterans. I admit, I have no idea what to do on KKF. I very much enjoy being on KKF, and I like hearing everyone's stories. I mean, I'm poking around whether I'm at work, on vacation, or at home. That has to mean something, yea? But truth be told, I have never been on forums before, nor do I completely understand what I am expected to do considering I am still Korin's representative here. If anyone here has any feed backs or suggestions, I would very much appreciate hearing it.

This is how I'm depicted at work.

I recently started to collect tea, teapots and teacups from different countries. This type writer teapot is one of my favorites, I got it at the Sherlock Holmes museum in London. It's in the midst of typing up the Hound of the Baskervilles by Sir Authur Conan Doyle. Do you have a collection of anything from travel? :)

Few things I've baked for Korin: Penguin cookies, white chocolate raspberry cheesecake (I've made better since this picture), and orange cheesecake with thin candied oranges (this was horribly difficult to cut and I wish I thought it through before making it.), chocolate strawberry ghosts (please excuse the demented looking ones), and open faced apple pie (made with honey crisp apples).

What I have slaving over at work for the past few months: Korin's tableware catalog editing. Do you know whats wrong with this one? There are too many spaces between the H and the dash... This project is going to be the end of me.

Sometimes I find whiskey on my desk. I don't know why, but I don't question good things.

Other tasks I take on at Korin: Researching, editing everything, adding information to the website, poking around here when I can, working in the showroom, and anything else. Because we're a small company, everyone helps each other out and most people have multiple jobs.

Outside of Korin, I have extremely nerdy hobbies. Is anyone here a Final Fantasy music fan? Do you have nerdy hobbies as well? :)

Is anyone else playing Borderlands? I rarely play first person shooter games, so I'm TERRIBLE at aiming, but it's fun.

Thank you for reading and I hope this post wasn't too out of line. :(

Mari, I personally enjoy everything you post. You are a great KKF forum member. I wouldn't change a thing. I especially enjoy the historical and cultural contributions.

Love the Penguin cookies and Demented Strawberries...I actually did LOL.

I have found you to be warm, responsive, and concerned about your customer's experience. Not cold at all.

I think more/better product knowledge would be good though. There are many requests for product recommendations here and I don't remember seeing you participate in any of them. I hope that doesn't seem too harsh, it's intended to be helpful.

Both good points, I think. Yes - product knowledge is interesting and it's what people like. Also, you've had certain craftsmen from Japan visit your shop and star in events, correct? Maybe you've done so, but if not how about write ups and relaying 'technical' knife comments from the dudes here?

The historical stuff is really interesting, and not many people post that (only Steely, I think) and I appreciate that stuff.

Personally I enjoy what you post. I agree with zwiefel in the product recommendations, but I also know you aren't supposed to advertise there. Which I think is why you don't see John, or Maximum doing it either.

I think for the forum you could be more geeky to Kitchen knives. Not just post an advert. but what you find different with the knife than just being a separate maker. I don't mean to be harsh just helpful (if I came across that way).

Love the Penguin cookies and Demented Strawberries...I actually did LOL.

I have found you to be warm, responsive, and concerned about your customer's experience. Not cold at all.

I think more/better product knowledge would be good though. There are many requests for product recommendations here and I don't remember seeing you participate in any of them. I hope that doesn't seem too harsh, it's intended to be helpful.

I'm glad you my baking experiments, and thank you for your feedback. Its not harsh at all, and I appreciate any tips people are willing to give me.
As Crothpipt said, I'm not allowed to advertise anywhere other then here. I'll definitely recommend more products here though!

Please feel free to be harsh. Its fine. I'm just trying to be more involved here and figure out boundaries. Thank you all for considering my feelings though. :)

You're doing just fine. Don't worry and enjoy the ride.

-AJ

Let's not forget Mari's access to Master Sugai. A great source of information and recommendations.

Personally I appreciate the cultural aspect of shopping at Korin. Buying Japanese products from Japanese suppliers. I think there may be a cultural difference in how they do business. (Especially when it comes to the internet and social media)

Everyone has there own style on the forums. You'll find yours.

Once again, it was nice meeting you at the Misono event.

I'm on bl2 as well playing zer0. Shinob1 is my Xbox handle if anyone wants to join up.

As far as the forum I think you are representing yourself and Korin just fine. You're definaetly a good KKF citizen and I think in your introduction post you had three or four marriage proposals, so you're well liked amongst the community.

Reading your post I am getting the feeling that the real question is why are members not purchasing from Korin and or particapating in events. Firstly, if that's the question, I don't think you're doing anything to deter the community from shopping or participating. So what could you do to increase sales and commune involvement, honestly I'm not sure. Generally speaking I think you need to market Korin to the enthusiasts, doing that may be challenging.

In my opinion, the users here are not going to be buying knives or supplies from Korin. From what I have read, the folks here prefer custom made knives. Those that come here as new users, as I did, are recommend brands that Korin doesn't sell. Couple that with an already well established vendor selection, especially JKI and Jon's service of working with new buyers to find the right knife, it's going to be hard to find a space for Korin to fit in. What it boils down to is the potential customers who can afford Korin knives are buying custom and those new users who want their first knife are being referred to JKI or other vendors.

Please don't take what I've said to mean that there isn't space or a place for Korin, but it's on you and Korin to determine how to market and maximize the relationship with the community to drive sales. We love having Korin here, but Korin needs to give the community a reason to be more engaged. Maybe that's offering some new brands, services, or discounts.

The net of it is, Korin needs to find a way to be one of the vendors who offers products that members recommend and purchase. I think being a good member on the forum is a great start, but that alone isn't going to make us buy more from Korin.

I'm on bl2 as well playing zer0. Shinob1 is my Xbox handle if anyone wants to join up.

As far as the forum I think you are representing yourself and Korin just fine. You're definaetly a good KKF citizen and I think in your introduction post you had three or four marriage proposals, so you're well liked amongst the community.

Reading your post I am getting the feeling that the real question is why are members not purchasing from Korin and or particapating in events. Firstly, if that's the question, I don't think you're doing anything to deter the community from shopping or participating. So what could you do to increase sales and commune involvement, honestly I'm not sure. Generally speaking I think you need to market Korin to the enthusiasts, doing that may be challenging.

In my opinion, the users here are not going to be buying knives or supplies from Korin. From what I have read, the folks here prefer custom made knives. Those that come here as new users, as I did, are recommend brands that Korin doesn't sell. Couple that with an already well established vendor selection, especially JKI and Jon's service of working with new buyers to find the right knife, it's going to be hard to find a space for Korin to fit in. What it boils down to is the potential customers who can afford Korin knives are buying custom and those new users who want their first knife are being referred to JKI or other vendors.

Please don't take what I've said to mean that there isn't space or a place for Korin, but it's on you and Korin to determine how to market and maximize the relationship with the community to drive sales. We love having Korin here, but Korin needs to give the community a reason to be more engaged. Maybe that's offering some new brands, services, or discounts.

The net of it is, Korin needs to find a way to be one of the vendors who offers products that members recommend and purchase. I think being a good member on the forum is a great start, but that alone isn't going to make us buy more from Korin.

Thanks for your suggestions. I'm taking down a few people's recommendation and make it happen.

Well, I'm not trying to get people from buy from Korin. Of course thats important but its not why I'm here. I'm here to socialize, get to know what people are looking for then use what I learn here to improve too. My point for the post was more in hopes to shake off any images of being a Korin robot, which is a role I feel like I've taken unintentionally. I'm not. I'm just trying to figure out what is appropriate and whats not as a Korin representative here, and for any pointers. Sorry it across as me looking for sales.

My point for the post was more in hopes to shake off any images of being a Korin robot...

That is not an impression I've ever had. You always seem like an interested and interesting member to me. If that's all you're looking for, you're good to go in my book!

That is not an impression I've ever had. You always seem like an interested and interesting member to me. If that's all you're looking for, you're good to go in my book!

I agree 100%, you've never come off as a cold or corporate in your posts. Perfect example is how you identified a knife for chef Son. That was a very nice thing to do and is showing of your character.

Mari, I think one of the reasons a lot of the members don't go to the events is many of us are professional chefs and your events are on the weekend. I, as well as many others
could never step away from a Thursday - Saturday in a busy NYC restaurant. I bet if you could arrange a few events on Monday- Wednesday you would get more of us. It's not that we don't want to, it's that we can't.

I've been playing as Gunzerker. I feel like I should have played as someone else. How about you? :)

Nice! I've been Zero and Maya. Both are awesome! Tons of fun using Maya's action skill, especially in coop. I'm not great but we should all have a KKF coop some time.

I've been playing as Zer0 and I'm Level 26 now. I was Mordecai in the first one and he seemed the most similar because I love the sniper rifles, but his Action Skill is basically useless at present for me. I've nearly maxed out the sniping so I'm gonna upgrade the melee stuff now. Amazing game

Zero's action skill you mean? Mordecai's was great. Zero's is, too, if you take it down the skill tree on the far right. Super high powered melees.

Sorry for hijacking the thread!

I enjoy your posts and it's very nice having someone that I can go to directly with questions regarding Korin products.
You answered all my questions super fast about the Masamoto and no cold responses at all. BTW, I still plan on getting that knife :happymug:

Mari, I think one of the reasons a lot of the members don't go to the events is many of us are professional chefs and your events are on the weekend. I, as well as many others
could never step away from a Thursday - Saturday in a busy NYC restaurant. I bet if you could arrange a few events on Monday- Wednesday you would get more of us. It's not that we don't want to, it's that we can't.

Thanks for the advice. Yea, I need to plan gatherings on Mondays and Tuesdays instead. I wish the presidents came during the weekday instead, the whole Korin team was saying that we need to remember to follow chef's schedules.

Zero's action skill you mean? Mordecai's was great. Zero's is, too, if you take it down the skill tree on the far right. Super high powered melees.

Sorry for hijacking the thread!

I think I should just switch characters to Zero... Granted it won't make me aim better, but you know... Maybe the character will be a little easier to use. LOL
I can't wait for next weekend, so I can finally sit down and play again.

No no, I asked who was playing. Thank you for replying, I would have felt silly if no one said anything. LOL

Nice! I've been Zero and Maya. Both are awesome! Tons of fun using Maya's action skill, especially in coop. I'm not great but we should all have a KKF coop some time.

I need to get better before I embarrass myself, but YESSS KKF coop! :D

I enjoy your posts and it's very nice having someone that I can go to directly with questions regarding Korin products.
You answered all my questions super fast about the Masamoto and no cold responses at all. BTW, I still plan on getting that knife :happymug:

Thank you! I'm glad I was able to answer your questions and I didn't come off as a robot or anything.
Oh great, please let me know when you do. I'll look for your order and ask Mr. Sugai to look at a few to find the best one in the bunch. :)

I enjoy reading your posts about the history behind the companies/items. I still haven't ordered from Korin yet, but I wouldn't hesitate to do so seeing how you support the customers!

I enjoy reading your posts about the history behind the companies/items. I still haven't ordered from Korin yet, but I wouldn't hesitate to do so seeing how you support the customers!
+2:laugh:

Thank you guys, so much. I really appreciate any and all comments. It gives me incentive and more ideas on how I can be useful here. :)

I'm working on more historical stuff to post here. Hopefully I can gather enough information for it to be complete, and not fragmented like it is right now.

Back