Quantcast
Has anyone seen Jiro Dreams of Sushi? - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Has anyone seen Jiro Dreams of Sushi?

Ayeung74, have you tried Ucchi in Houston? They do a tremendous job.

Just found this review of Jiro's Son's restaurant. Certainly leaves one a little less interested in seeking them out

http://darindines.com/2012/11/15/suk...i-tokyo-japan/
    Remember: You're a unique individual...just like everybody else.

How'd you come across that Dan?

I'd be curious to know how his son's skills are in comparison to his father's. My parent went to eat at Chef Jiro's restaurant and they seemed pretty thrilled about it.

Chef Jiro Ono's apprentice came to Korin with his business partner a week ago. (He was super nice. We got to take a picture for Facebook.) Apparently they opened a new restaurant in NYC. My coworker tried to see if she could get in, but she said she couldn't even get to reserve a seat because they were so booked.

"SUSHI NAKAZAWA Daisuke Nakazawa, who apprenticed with the chef Jiro Ono and appeared in the film “Jiro Dreams of Sushi,” brings his expertise to this omakase restaurant with a 10-seat sushi bar and a dining room. It is owned by Maurizio de Rosa and Alessandro Borgognone, restaurateurs who had the idea after Mr. de Rosa studied sake and decided to open a sushi restaurant serving omakase tastings paired with sake. Until September, only the sushi bar will be open (Monday): 23 Commerce Street (Seventh Avenue), (212) 924-2212, sushinakazawa.com." - New York Times

Quote Originally Posted by Asteger View Post
    How'd you come across that Dan?
    A foodie friend + world traveler shared it with me
    Remember: You're a unique individual...just like everybody else.

I really liked the movie, I think that if I ever have the opportunity to go I would.

I almost booked Jiro's for November, but then I figured out I may not be able to appreciate his Sushi.

Sure, we all ate suishi now and then, and there are quite a few decent suishi places in Sydney (thanks to the large Japanese population), but then, I have never dined in a proper suishi restaurant and I think spend $400 and dive into the world's best sushi is a bit of a waste (even from the chef's point of view).

J.

I have a hard time swallowing the blogger's suggestion that the younger son's restaurant gives us any insight into what Jiro himself has to offer. It's hip to be a contrarian.

Quote Originally Posted by pkjames View Post
    I almost booked Jiro's for November, but then I figured out I may not be able to appreciate his Sushi.

Sure, we all ate suishi now and then, and there are quite a few decent suishi places in Sydney (thanks to the large Japanese population), but then, I have never dined in a proper suishi restaurant and I think spend $400 and dive into the world's best sushi is a bit of a waste (even from the chef's point of view).

J.
    I understand your concern, but would definitely go if I could swing it. As you may not appreciate it as much now as maybe in the future when you become more appreciative of good sushi. The only reason I say this is that you may never have the chance again. He is up there in age. I believe he is pushing 88 now. If you can't or will put yourself in a bind by going, then I would understand.

That is just me though.

Quote Originally Posted by Korin_Mari View Post
    "... Daisuke Nakazawa, who apprenticed with the chef Jiro ..."
    Ah yes! I saw the photo. The guy who could never get the omelette right, until finally he did and was declared 'shokunin'.

Interesting that he'd move to the states. Makes sense business-wise, especially considering the popularity of the film.