Sohonten and Tsukiji Masamoto

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Korin_Mari

Reaction score
Mr. Sugai is running around, preparing for his trip to Japan to train, so I can't ask him... So I wondered if someone who has tried out both the Tsukiji and Sohonten Masamoto knives can tell me if there are any differences in the knives?

I know that the Sohonten is the main store, and that the company split into different branches. From what I've read on the internet, I hear it was due to two brothers not getting along, or something to that effect.

id love to hear from other people too. all i know is, tsukiji masamoto knives have the circle trademark engraved below the company logo. and their saya doesn't say masamoto on it like the sohonten.

mtc kitchen starts carrying their knives now.
http://www.mtckitchen.com/c-6-yanagi.aspx

I found some explanation on Tsukiji Masamoto's website about it... It says as below in their frequently asked questions section (sorry for my crappy English translation):

"Sohonten is related to us through the brothers, however, everything including product themselves, pricing, and management of companies, are completely different. Masamoto Sohonten seems to do sales through primarily larger malls, hardware shops and internet retailers. For domestic sales, our company do direct sales without going through dealerships, cutting down on distribution cost. Originally, the "masamoto" brand itself was build by everyone from Hirano family. For more information about this, please read "Masamoto's Hisotry". Not just about Masamoto as a brand, but when reviewing knife brands in general, it is recommended to foam one's own understanding of price, quality and functionality of blade through actual usage of knives."

Back