Quantcast
Opinion: Petty/Paring Knife (Budget $100) - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Opinion: Petty/Paring Knife (Budget $100)

Quote Originally Posted by heirkb View Post
    Honestly, I think a paring knife is way more useful than a petty for me. The only things I can think of that I can't do with a gyuto (easily, at least) are in-hand tasks such as coring strawberries, coring tomatoes, peeling, etc. If it were up to me, I'd rather have a small gyuto (like your 210) and a paring knife than a small gyuto and a petty, which overlap too much.

The only reason I'd get the petty over the paring knife if I were you is if you're deboning a lot of chickens or working with meats with silver-skin. A paring knife isn't great for that stuff.
    Interesting, I almost have no use for a paring knife. I find I can do any paring knife task with a petty, but then I can use it for board work, fruit, meats, etc. as well.

Quote Originally Posted by GlassEye View Post
    Interesting, I almost have no use for a paring knife. I find I can do any paring knife task with a petty, but then I can use it for board work, fruit, meats, etc. as well.
    Likewise. I have a 5 dollar victorinox paring knife that I LOVE. But, that is only because its a cheap beater that i can break down boxes and cut random crap with. For actual work a 150 petty does all the same work as a paring knife, but also performs well enough for trimming/breaking down meat and fish (to and extent). I also tend to use it as an everyday line knife. I'm not slicing giant cuts, or sushi rolls, so the petty hangs just fine with duck breast, tenderloin, pork, etc,etc,etc

The only that doubles some functions of both parer and petty

http://www.messer-mit-tradition.de/i...809.600.02.jpg

Robert Herder's Yatagan, €30 in carbon.

I have 2 pettys one Takeda and a Tojiro DP, as a home cook i use the Tojiro more often since i like being able to take it to the table for smaller cutting tasks such as veggies for breakfast etc. Bottom line, if you are going to use it in a home environment, consider getting one in stainless.

Hi everyone. I just bought this Tanaka petty knife.

Looks like ebay had a better deal than a lot of the sellers on the internet. A lot of stores were selling the knife for $125 or so.

Thanks to everyone who provided options and opinions - very, very appreciated.

sleekay