something beautiful

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sachem allison

Reaction score
I have been talking to a maker in Estonia for a little while now and we are working on a project for a custom 210mm gyuto, It will be a little while before we get it all figured out. Right now he is getting ready to put into production a 180mm version, it is made of Niolox. I figured I'd give you guys a little teaser, as this probably won't get done til the beginning of the year. It's going to be pretty. These are single bevels at 2.4mm spine thickness. I can't wait, so many projects, so little time.lol

tuuts.jpg

tuuts2.jpg

tuuts3.jpg

That's what I said when I first saw it. He said, no one ever asked for a bigger one before. I being me, had to have one. we will see what comes of it.

That has to be one of the most interesting 'd?' handles I have ever seen. Have you used one chef?

How about the grinding? In the second picture, is one the right hand version and the other the left hand one, or is the grinding symmetric??

one is left and one is right, he doesn't make a double bevel version.

That has to be one of the most interesting 'd?' handles I have ever seen. Have you used one chef?

No, I haven't used one yet, but I have used similar shaped handles before and they are quite comfortable. If you look at the first picture with the apple that is actually a left handed knife and the belly of the curve actually faces the palm which feels right in the hand, but doesn't make sense visually. I used to make my antler handled knives that way.

Man that thing is aesthetically beautiful. I hope the handle is nice to use as well. It's always nice to see things a little different.

Pretty handle but the way I hold a knife that sure looks like a righty.

I've never understood how d handles aren't ok for both righties and lefties. I've used so many right-handed d's, I almost forget which is which. Both are comfortable, if you ask me. As for this one, it's hard to tell without holding it. However, it's a really nice looking knife, and I appreciate that element. Is it a true single bevel, it's hard to tell if there's an ura or not.

Very interesting presentation - definitely visually appealing. Can't wait to see the final product Son.

Well, I have been waiting on this for awhile and after many issues with international wire transfers and God awful bank fees it finally arrived today and it's a duzzy. It is made of Niolox and is super thin behind the blade. It is right hand biased and after some adjustments the handle is more Chef friendly and less curvy. I has a very unique finish almost granite like.It is very uniquely shaped and I don't think anyone well ever confuse it with theirs. It is just right for a small line knife and I used it to trim some NY Strip Primals today and it just breezed right through them. Fit and finish is inpeccable. The only thing that I noticed is that the tip has a little tiny birds beak thing going on, I don't think its a problem and will be gone in a session or to on the stones. Out of the box edge is pretty impressive. All in all a pretty damn fine kitchen knife from a non kitchen knife maker. I'll use it for a month and make a further review on edge retention and stiction, food release. I actually left it at work so, I'll give dimensions in a few days. By the way the Maker is from Estonia and his name is Tonu Arrak.

tuuts.jpg

tuuts1.jpg

tuuts2.jpg

tuuts4.jpg

tuuts5.jpg

tuuts6.jpg

tuuts7.jpg

tuuts8.jpg

tuuts9.jpg

tuuts10.jpg

Def. something different. Nice intro to a new maker Son. Very stunning knife.

looks awesome. I've never used a single bevel before, don't know if i will, but this looks great

Nice!
But Damn! You had to put that bell in the picture? All I can think is DING DING DING !!!!
Pick it up!
Pick it up!
Photobombed by the bell......

Son, the finish on that knife is the hot rolled and pickled finish on the steel as it comes from the mill. Most likely put to a wire wheel after heat treating.

Beautiful knife! Single bevel and hollow ground. Fun.

Hoss

This looks like a work of art.

Is there a price tag already?

Back