Worthwhile going to Florida

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

slowtyper

Reaction score
Parents bought a place in Sarasota and invited me and the girlfriend to go down. Didn't sound tooo exciting but its an hour from Tampa and 3 hours from Miami.

I know pretty much nothing about the cities but thinking about going. We love NYC, especially brooklyn. We were thinking about going to Chicago next but we are looking into what Florida has to offer. I like food. She likes fashion, art, and vintage stores.

I do like going someplace and exploring their regional food. I've always wanted to go to the south for bbq exploration and new orleans for their cuisine. Would I be looking at cuban food in Florida?

If your girlfriend is into art, do not miss the Salvador Dali museum in St. Petersburg.

Sarasota's a nice place.

Be sure to go to the Ringling Museum.

St. Armand's Circle is fun for shopping, although expensive.

You should be able to find good Cuban and Greek food. But for "regional" get seafood.

Just don't go between May and October unless you like heat and air conditioning.

I haven't been to the Gulf Coast of Florida in over 20 years but I would go back to visit in a heartbeat.
I can't suggest any specific places to eat but I remember some great Cajun food.
If you can't understand them when they talk, you are probably in the right place.

Florida is a great place to visit. Space Coast is cool, go to the St. John's River for an air boat ride then some fine eating 'gator. Gator Land is pretty cool (best BBQ 'gator ribs ever) and if you are a gear head you must go to "Big Daddy" Don Garlits' Museum of Drag Racing in Ocala. Even if you are not the artistry of machines will be fascinating. http://garlits.com/
If you are not that far from Miami the gulf stream is only five miles off shore and there is some nice deep sea fishing to be had.

Back