Quantcast
Need input on this appetizer
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Need input on this appetizer

Need input on this appetizer

working on a dish

prosciutto wrapped lobster tail ( lobster will be poached slightly then wrapped in prosciutto that has scallop mousseline to act as a glue then browned and sliced)

I originally did it with roasted corn, red bell pepper, shallots, garlic and deglazed with lobster stock.

I made a lobster cream with orange zest as a garnish.

As well as a roasted yellow pepper coulis.

Im happy with 90% of the dish. Im not liking the corn, im thinking about adding fresh peas and favabeans and making a fava puree as well.

any other ideas?

a couple loyal customers asked for a new lobster dish so i dont want to disappoint them.

Charlotte, NC AKA The Queen City! The lint-filled belly button of the south.
    Lose the corn
    Maybe peas. It looks a little too busy/messy with the corn all over the place. Maybe a simple lobster cream underneath the lobster. Maybe a green pea puree?
    Just thinking out loud.
    I'll bet it tastes great.
    Is the lobster stuffed with the mousseline as well?
    If "Its" and "Buts" was candy and nuts, we'd all have a Merry Christmas
    -Cleon "Slammin'" Salmon

I agree. Lose the corn. You're already getting that texture and sweetness from the lobster, plus the good corn days are numbered. A simple, clean, beautiful plate goes a long way.

revised a little bit

the scallop mousseline is just a thin layer on the prosciutto to help it stick tightly to the lobster, this one has fava puree, same yellow roasted pepper coulis, lobster cream,

i thinking about losing apsaragus and as far as plating slice a little thicker just enough for one row on the plate with vegies around and on top.

any comments on this one?

It looks busy to me. I would keep the yellow roasted pepper coulis and the lobster cream and lose the beans / fava puree. Or maybe just dot the fava puree on one side of the plate.

Fava bean purée and slice the asparagus thin and curl it maybe?

Take out the asparagus and the brunoise the pepper. The large cuts seem incongruent with the organic way this plate is forming.

I like all the flavors. Favas, lobster and bacon just have a strange harmony.

Is the proscuitto such that one needs to cut it with a knife, and if so are the little lobster pieces meant to be bite size?

Quote Originally Posted by tkern View Post
    Take out the asparagus and the brunoise the pepper. The large cuts seem incongruent with the organic way this plate is forming.

I like all the flavors. Favas, lobster and bacon just have a strange harmony.
    Yes, and remove all but the middle three proteins. Those are enough for an app. This is a less-is-more aesthetic. (Take my input with a grain of salt. Plating is one of my weak points).
    "Too much of anything is bad, but too much good whiskey is barely enough." —Mark Twain

Asparagus, and favas are out of season so I'd focus more on the corn(which is almost out of season as well) and bell peppers. Char the corn and do a light puree or preferably a foam(the char will help balance the sweetness and make the lobster pop). I'd keep the tail whole, anchor it to the plate with a little mousse, crisp the prosciutto on a sil pat (for textural contrast and to complement the corn) break it into slivers and drop over the lobster and splayed across the plate, arrange dots of the puree from a squeeze bottle as cleanly as possible to offset the chaos of the prosciutto shards, then maybe finish with some very thinly sliced and very lightly pickled peppers to help brighten the dish. Less is always more.