Finally a new batch

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Burl Source

Weird Wood Pusher
Reaction score
I think I was starting to go through withdrawals.
Finally a new batch of wood back from getting stabilized by K&G.
I don't remember exactly what is in this batch but I think there was some really good stuff.
Won't know for sure till I get these cleaned up.

n001.jpg

I'll start off with....
Bog oak, buckeye, amboyna

I don't remember exactly what is in this batch but I think there was some really good stuff.
Won't know for sure till I get these cleaned up.

Do you ever have blocks of wood that you can no longer identify?

Do you ever have blocks of wood that you can no longer identify?
Not in a long time, but there have been numerous ones that I wouldn't have been able to identify if I hadn't been the one to cut the wood when it was fresh.
Some of the woods have so many variations in how they look that you would never be able to guess without seeing what it was cut from as well as the bark and leaves.

I'll start off with....
Bog oak, buckeye, amboyna
Two out of threee ain't bad.

Well, this batch doesn't look like much yet. But just you wait.
These are ones that I have started to clean up. At 36 grit even dark stuff looks really light.

n002.jpg

Nice - I would not have guessed walnut from the first set of pics.

Here are a few example blocks from this batch of walnut.
All of these were cut from the same chunk of walnut no more than a foot apart from each other.
6144a.jpg

6140a.jpg

6131a.jpg

6142a.jpg

That is some serious variation! I think want some but I can't figure out which... :(

Here are a few I like from the 2nd half of the batch. I still have to measure and price these before I can get them into the store.
6153a.jpg

6161a.jpg

6156a.jpg

6154a.jpg

I just finished adding the rest of the stabilized Walnut to the store.
31 new blocks of stabilized Claro Walnut Burl.

Mark, which woods don't need to be stabilized before use?
The main ones that I do not get stabilized are ironwood, rosewoods and african blackwood.
Some people go by "If you can dent the wood surface with your thumbnail, get it stabilized".
The reason I get a lot of woods stabilized that might be ok without getting stabilized is increased durability and easier to get a good finish.

Today I am cleaning up the remainder of this new batch of stabilized wood.
It doesn't look like much right now, but it will. I am keeping the piece on the far right for my stash.

002-33.jpg

But what is that lone fella in the back far right?
That looks fun.

The piece on the left looks like a mallee to me. Just a guess.

The main ones that I do not get stabilized are ironwood, rosewoods and african blackwood.
Some people go by "If you can dent the wood surface with your thumbnail, get it stabilized".
The reason I get a lot of woods stabilized that might be ok without getting stabilized is increased durability and easier to get a good finish.

Thanks.

The one on the far left is buckeye. The one on the far right is mine.

Here is the Bog Oak cleaned up. Another bad photo. If I keep this up people are going to think I borrowed Spike's camera.

003-22.jpg

Back