Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Question for the Hunters out there

Question for the Hunters out there

Ok, I wasn't sure where to post this as I'm getting into hunting after 40 years from my last deer taken. At that time my brother field cleaned it and I finished the butchering at home myself. Well I plan on doing some deer hunting this year and have a skinning knife made by Schrade called the Old Timer. Now the steel is I think marked 1520 T or that is the only mark on the blade which I assume is the steel type. Well as it came it had a fair edge but not one I would use and what grit would you consider taking up too when sharpening. I have the ability with my water stones to go from 250 all the way to 10,000 and beyond with my strops. I do understand this isn't going to be a kitchen knife however I take my butcher knives to about 4000 rarely more. Any suggestions would be appreciated or tips on the best edge for field cleaning game.
    --
    Joe

I jump from 1000 to the 5000 rika and stop there. For my smaller folders, I used to use the lansky sharpener to the fine grit, but now I take them to an old Arkansas stone that has been in the family for at least 60 years that I would guess would be in the 3000 range.

Oh and congrats on getting into deer hunting again and good luck.

I've got Shapton Glass stones in 250, 500, 1000, 2000, 4000, and 8000 as well as a Naniwa 10K. For strops I have cow hide with CO, horse hide with Diamond sprays in two levels (all bought through Dave or Hand America. I also have a Smith's diamond field stones in 325 and 750 grit diamond plates as shown below.

http://www.smithsproducts.com/produc...p?id=24&cid=10

At any rate I will take it to 4K and see if that holds up, if not then 8K. Oh and I choose my stones based on micron size where possible always trying to get as close to possible by dividing by 2 from course to fine.

Oh and thanks for the good luck. I might just need it since it is also the first time hunting any game with a rifle but did as last time with a shot gun and slugs. Now I have a 45-70 Rossi Rio Grande with a Bushnell Banner Dusk to Dawn 1.5-4.5x32mm scope.
    --
    Joe

I don't hunt, but I can't imagine you would take it past what you would on a slicer. I would go up to your 4, then just a few passes on the 8k and call it good.

Nice - We hunt in a lot of woods with a range that generally is no more than 100 yards, so my main rifle is a 1939 .300 Savage Model 99 lever action with peep sights. If I sit on the field at dusk, I usually run with a Ruger Mark II 7x57mm Mauser bolt action with a Leupold 2x-12x scope. My family swears by the Savage Model 99 for woods hunting - great balance and an absolutely classic action.

For a field dressing knife, gutting and skinning, a little tooth is nice call it micro serrations. I use a worn out 400 grit belt on my grinder, then a quick buff with some green compound. It cuts better/longer in hot protein then a polished edge. Especially on a lesser steel than what most kitchen users expect. By the way, I have the same knife. its a back up now should I loose or should I say misplace my CPM S30V hunter.

Feel free to visit my website, http://www.rodrigueknives.com
    Email pierre@rodrigueknives.com

A search turned up this page on the Schrade website about your knife:

http://www.schrade-knives.com/OldTimer152OT.html

It look as if the marking on the blade isn't the steel, but rather the model. The steel, according to the webpage is 7Cr17 stainless.

Rick

A friend describes his 45-70 as throwing logs at em. It works.

I'm also in the less is more camp for edge on a deer knife. By design the knife will have a more robust edge. For the variety of tasks that it may perform thats a good thing. Your Smith plates, orange and yellow, are all you need imho. Maybe an XF or 1-2 K stone if you must.

Have a good trip and "Doe meat is better than no meat".

Regards,

Dave
    Dave
    Older and wider.

I've got some great feedback on deer skinning edges over the last few years since I've been sharpening all sorts of knives for a local hunting lodge. The ticket seems to be (as usual) that the cheaper the knife the coarser the edge is the way to go. I find that it's best to go 120x belt and then one pass on each side on my deburring wheel. If I do more than one pass per side the edge becomes too polished. One of the guys uses a ceramic rod to touch up if he does more than one deer. I've never done this myself but I was shocked to hear that my edges (on cheap Schrades & Dexters, etc) make it through a whole deer now, they were too at first but now they're jaded and expect it.

Anyway, if I were using stones I'd go no further than 1k but I think 220x is more in order for what's needed on a cheap knife. Deburr with a ceramic rod - leave the teeth on the edge.