Deba ID

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sachem allison

Reaction score
Hello, Guys

I just received this deba in the mail today. It had a lot of chips on the blade and the tip was missing. I took it out to the back porch and ground away on the granite slab to even it out and fix the tip. I haven't put an edge on it yet as I have actually never really used a deba before and don't want to screw it up. It is a little over 210mm maybe 215? It looks like it maybe made of wrought iron with a carbon core. It had what appears to be remnants of firescale on it so, it possibly was a kurouchi finished blade. The handle appears to be burnt hanoki, not Ho wood it has a cedar texture. It has no ferrule, but there is a metal supporting ring in the handle. I have seen this on older knives. I gave a true funayaki to DwarvenChef awhile back that had the same handle and collar. It is marked and appears well made. The back is very hollowed and has what appears to be scrape marks from heel to tip. Possibly sen marks. I just want to know who made it and if its worth getting Jon or Dave to fix it up?
I personally don't use debas, but I might one day.

deba3.jpg

deba1.jpg

deba2.jpg

deba4.jpg

deba5.jpg

deba6.jpg

deba7.jpg

deba8.jpg

deba9.jpg

deba10.jpg

deba11.jpg

deba12.jpg

deba13.jpg

deba14.jpg

Hi hi,
The stamped mark says "sanyo." I'll ask for information about the company from a few people and relay it to you. :)

Crumbs! Mari beat me to it.

三洋 = 'sanyo'. I got the same thing but more slowly.

Back