Quantcast
History of Iga Pottery : Prehistoric Clay!?
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: History of Iga Pottery : Prehistoric Clay!?

History of Iga Pottery : Prehistoric Clay!?

Hello hello! During today's product meeting, we were introduced Iga pottery, which I found pretty fascinating.

Iga pottery (Iga-yaki) is one of Japan’s most highly regarded traditional ceramics, which originated in Iga, Mie prefecture during the late 7th Century. What makes the Iga pottery so incredibly special and is the clay material.

The town of Iga was once on the bed of Lake Biwa during the pre-historic period, therefore the clay used in the pottery contains a high content of carbonated organisms, which makes the Iga pottery more porous than the average earthenware. This rare clay has been utilized by the Iga town in pottery for centuries, due to how it naturally has a higher level of heat-resistance.

When cooked the Iga style donabe retains the heat fully before fulling cooking or smoking the ingredients inside. Iga-yaki pottery also promote far infrared radiation (FIR) when the grill is heated, which allows the heat to quickly reach to the core of each ingredients.

I haven't used it, but we're supposed to try it out at Korin next week. More product knowledge + Food = WIN.

The products that were introduced this week:

Yaki Yaki-san for stove top and even table top grilling!

$170.00

Donabe smoker pot. You can add a delicious smokey taste to proteins and veggies easily at home!

$280.00

By the way, Iga is also famous for ninjas.

I visited the ninja museum there several years ago. It was fun.

wyoming, closer to nowhere than somewhere.
    I have seen these before, and was amazed. Is the clay lighter in weight, being able to be thinner and more stable?
    Chewie's the man.

+ Reply to Thread