Quantcast
Thinning VG10... - Page 2
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Thinning VG10...

Please let us know!

Well, thinning just behind the edge helped a little on the squash last night, less wedging, but still an issue. Still might take it a little further. I still got frustrated on about squash #11, so I broke out my CCK "BBQ chopper" to finish up the rough breakdown.

How much further would you suggest I take it. I'll try to post pics after shift tonight.

Up to you I guess but if you feel you're gonna need to thin it a huge amount I'd maybe get a different knife

Please verify with a ruler that one side of the blade - in general the left one - is flat behind the bevel , and the other one is at least slightly convex. This is important because thinning has to be performed differently on both sides.
    I look forward seeing the pix.

Quote Originally Posted by stevenStefano View Post
    Up to you I guess but if you feel you're gonna need to thin it a huge amount I'd maybe get a different knife
    Sure, but often a slight adjustment will solve the question, and no huge thinning is
    necessary.

A different knife would solve the issue, but as this is only a 50$ knife, and it was a gift, I'm finding it good practice. I have two other VG10 knives that I would like to thin a little, this is good practice. And I used this ikea knife today on some harder foods like carrots, turnups, and sweet pots. It helped a lot, so even if its a little better, the effort was worth it

Quote Originally Posted by Benuser View Post
    Please verify with a ruler that one side of the blade - in general the left one - is flat behind the bevel , and the other one is at least slightly convex. This is important because thinning has to be performed differently on both sides.
    I look forward seeing the pix.
    it really depends.

bieniek demonstrated great thinning technique in his recent post "yoshikane petty thinning job" which was with a clad knife. check it out.

I have found 600 atoma plate thins shuns easy.For the most part VG-10 does not seem that hard to sharpen.

Your CCK BBQ cleaver is a good squash weapon.Good for alot of other cutting as well.

+ Reply to Thread