Thread: crossbow question

crossbow question

I need a basic used crossbow to kill the groundhog(s) that eat our garden. Over past years I caught 50 or so with a Havahart trap but this new group won't go near it.

Any recommendations for inexpensive brands accurate to about 30 yds?

I'm checking on ebay and craigslist for a set under $100.
    "Too much of anything is bad, but too much good whiskey is barely enough." —Mark Twain

Name:  1940.jpg
Views: 119
Size:  54.5 KB

I use one of these.
    All men dream, but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that it was vanity; but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. - Lawrence

Why not a Gamo pellet gun? I got mine off Woot (Amazon) for $99.

-AJ

Quote Originally Posted by ajhuff View Post
    Why not a Gamo pellet gun? I got mine off Woot (Amazon) for $99.

-AJ
    +1 a powerful .22 cal pellet gun should do the job nicely. Pretty sure they make hollow point pellets for this application to that would really put a hurting on them.

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Gamo-Rocke...Count/12537985

something like that perhaps.

A buddy has a Crossman CO2 but doesn't know if it's a .177 or .22. It bounces off Canadian geese at 30 yds. so I'm not sure if it'll kill a ground hog.

+1 for pellet gun over crossbow.
    "Too much of anything is bad, but too much good whiskey is barely enough." —Mark Twain

My dad just got a pellet gun this summer to take care of some marmots at their cabin. Does a very nice job, though it does sound like a rifle due to the pellet going faster than the speed of sound. May not be so great for a residential area, unless you make sure to find something that isn't too powerful.

I have a couple of Gamo pellet guns. One is .177 the other 22 and they are much stronger hitting that the Crossman CO2 types. I've actually taken out a couple of coons and a opossum with mine.
    --
    Joe

Woot had Gamo Big Cat .22s refurbished for $99 last week or so. That includes a scope and 50 pellets. If you aren't in a hurry the thing is to wait on Woot and pounce when they come up a few times per year. Amazon has pretty good list price, also Pyramid Air. I have the Varmit Stalker Deluxe and with platinum pellets it cracks above the sound barrier. It's comparable to shooting a .22LR at short range. A heavier lead pellet might not crack, I haven't tried.

They have a few models with built in noise dampeners.

-AJ

I would totally use a 22 pellet over a .177 pellet, more weight for better penetration but can still be deadly at subsonic speeds. Use the heaviest hollow point pellet you can find.
    BBQ Heretic