Quantcast
Pass Around for 260mm Gyuto in 52100 Schedule - Page 2
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Pass Around for 260mm Gyuto in 52100 Schedule

Quote Originally Posted by Dusty View Post
    I'm not one-hundred percent sure, but I think that customs *shouldn't* be too expensive, but shipping and insurance could be costly, especially on the way back to the US.
    Shipping and insurance cost will be the responsibility of the participants - a price of participation if you will.

I ask that the knife be insured for $400 - less that it costs new, but on part what it should be valued used.

M

An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made, in a narrow field.
    -Niels Bohr

If my KKF Inbox is full (or not), please contact me via Email: anvlts@gmail.com

Just teasing ya Marko.
    But, if an Asia detour did happen, it might make sense for me to be 1st & last on the list. My addy isn't foreign so I can ship USPS at domestic rates.
    Though I could not caution all I still might warn a few; Don't raise your hand to raise no flag atop no ship of fools. - Robert Hunter

I am a game as long as there are more than just a couple people in the Asia Pacific region and as long as you guys take care of getting all information on costs, customs, etc.

As of this morning, there already a couple of new people in Australia interested, and hopefully a few more in the coming months.

M

An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made, in a narrow field.
    -Niels Bohr

If there are anyspotsopen on the europelist, i'd like to be in!

Thanks

Robin

You guys will have to work out the customs (Scandinavian customs are some of the most feared in the Western world), as the $400 insurance is mandatory.

Other than that, I see no reason not to include folks. It might be a while before the knife makes there thought.

M

-Niels Bohr

It has been brought to my attention that requiring mandatory insurance might signal to customs the value of the item and lead to custom duties, which in Europe could be in the area of 21% or higher.

If you think it is a good idea, I am willing to include a letter stating that this is a sample work sent out for evaluation purpose and that it will be returned back to me in the end.

Understating the value of the knife is to risk exposing participants to liabilities in case the knife is lost or damaged in the process. I would like to avoid that.

This knife is not any different than my custom, with same material cost and labor input, so I would like to recoup some cost once the passaround is over.

I am also hoping that this will lead to a good experience for everybody involved.

M

-Niels Bohr

Good points.
    I'll talk to the people atwork. We ship "engineering samples" between our offices globally everyday. Someone should know.

Thanks

Just wanted to offer my belated thanks for including me in the first leg of this. I've been pretty busy at work and missed this post. Hope things work out for the out of staters.

Putting Sample on the package doesn't cut it with customs, if there is a value on it they add customs charges and a handling fee. So either leave off the value and make sure it is covered with the courier or, There is a number code for labelling packages which will be going in and back out of the country again. Someone mentioned this on BB, i'll try and find the post with the code.

Incidentally, someone shipped me a knife recently with the 'commercial sample' label and it spent about 2 weeks in Korean Customs. Same thing - with a $400 value and handling, charges would have been approaching $100.

+ Reply to Thread