What's your "unicorn"?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JKerr

Reaction score
I'm sure everyone here has one knife they'll always be chasing, be it due to cost, perhaps the line was discontinued, craftsman retired etc.. Perhaps a Hattori KD, a particular antique european knife, maybe some natural stone from some long closed mine in Japan?

For me, it's probably the Nenox C1 cleaver. I'm sure there's better cleavers out there and I could just pick up a Hattori FH (again) which I hear is pretty much identical. But the Nenox range is just so iconic, even if it is so horribly over priced. And given that the cleaver was discontinued so long ago, it's even more desirable.

But hey, a man can dream, can't he?

So what's yours?

Cheers,
Josh

My father used to have an established career in the culinary industry a quarter decade ago and has offered me his 10" sab. I want alot of things, many jknives included. But this is important to me.

There's definitely "something" about a knife with a story. I've looked at so many old Sabs from the early century, and own a few vintage ones myself and I can't help but admire them when I hold them. Can't help but imagine how many enthusiasts and pros before me used them and what dished they helped create. I like to imagine my canadian massif from the 1940 has passed through a couple of (literally) old school French kitchens. :knife:

Cheers,
Josh

Well mine is truly a unicorn.I would love to make a handle from Narwhal ivory.....But it is not legal in the USA so it will never happen.

Well mine is truly a unicorn.I would love to make a handle from Narwhal ivory.....But it is not legal in the USA so it will never happen.

Isn't there old stock with cites-certificates that's still legal to be sold?

Mario, maybe bring a portable shop to a place where it's not illegal?? Haha, dumb idea.

It honestly wouldn't surprise me if someone on this forum had a stash of Narwhal Ivory.

Looks like Boone Trading has some old pre-ban Narwhal ivory. Ain't cheap.

Hey Mario, you can make that at my place, I swear I have a full woodworking shop in my garage :lol2: Oh, and you would have to leave the handle with me for legal purposes.

So, back to the unicorn thingy.......
....I guess I always assumed that there was the "perfect" knife out there. The one knife to rule them all.
You know, the one that gets crazy sharp, stays that way forever but is strong enough to not chip.
That knife doesn't exist. There are many, many great knives out there but you end up trading one attribute for a downside.
You know, the ones that get insanely sharp can be brittle and fragile, or they don't have the edge retention you're looking for.
I guess I'll just have to keep on buying more knives.:crytissue::crytissue::crytissue::crytissue::crytissue::crytissue::crytissue::crytissue::crytissue::crytissue:

I had the same idea a while ago, I think it might be neat to leave the point at the butt of the handle, with maybe brass ferrule or some other equally rare material.

As for my unicorn knife, I don't know, maybe I will come across it at some point; a Jin yanagiba would be interesting or something with a similar feel.

....I guess I always assumed that there was the "perfect" knife out there. The one knife to rule them all.
You know, the one that gets crazy sharp, stays that way forever but is strong enough to not chip....

short version of this:D
star_wars_red_lightsaber_zpsadda7a27.jpg

I would love to own a knife that represented an outstanding craftsman at the height of his skill. For me that would include the knives that Devin Thomas made for Dillard a couple of years ago, a Doi Hayate, a Burke dragon's breath damascus, or a Rader integral bolster slicer like Salty has. None of these are unobtainable, but the combination of cost, scarcity, and wait time means I'll never own them.

You know, the one that gets crazy sharp, stays that way forever but is strong enough to not chip.
That knife doesn't exist. There are many, many great knives out there but you end up trading one attribute for a downside.
You know, the ones that get insanely sharp can be brittle and fragile, or they don't have the edge retention you're looking for.
I guess I'll just have to keep on buying more knives.:crytissue::crytissue::crytissue::crytissue::crytissue::crytissue::crytissue::crytissue::crytissue::crytissue:

I'm realizing this, too. For me, I was especially looking for a knife that cuts totally effortlessly on almost everything. Well, I found some knives pretty close (e.g. Marko practice gyuto, Tilman gyuto...), but they feel more delicate at the edge than any other knives I've tried (even lasers, since they're thinner at the edge than the few laser gyutos I've tried). I guess there's always a trade-off.

I think my Unicorn is on the shelf. I once was going to make a special trip to purchase it and naively asked Korin for some assistance from the airport. (Like a ride.) I hate not knowing where I'm going or how to get there. Especially when it's a short one nighter.

Long story short, didn't go.

Honestly, I have owned every other knife I"ve lusted over. Except maybe Collin's Suji.

+1 To what Salty said. My unicorn is out there waiting to be purchased or made for me. I just need to have the funds or time to look.

For me, it's probably the Nenox C1 cleaver. I'm sure there's better cleavers out there and I could just pick up a Hattori FH (again) which I hear is pretty much identical. But the Nenox range is just so iconic, even if it is so horribly over priced. And given that the cleaver was discontinued so long ago, it's even more desirable.

But hey, a man can dream, can't he?

So that 230 Hattori prototype should be right up your alley
230HattoriFHcleaverprototype.jpg

So that 230 Hattori prototype should be right up your alley

Would love to own the prototype cleaver. I was seriously considering buying another Hattori FH cleaver (still am), I know they don't get a lot of love around here, but I think the FH series is an awesome line. I really regret selling mine :sad0:

Cheers,
Josh

I have a few, and I'd put Dillard's DT up towards the top, as well. Along with that, I'd go with a 270 suji by Pierre, with some nice carbon O1/L6 damascus, ebony handle, green mammoth tooth spacer and ebony ferrule. On top of that, I'd want a Butch folder, a lefty Carter yanagiba with a nice understated handle and surprisingly a Kramer chef knife. Doesn't matter which one.

I'm playing with my "sorta unicorn", for the next week or so, thanks to Mike and Matt.

I hate to admit it, but the Kramer is my real unicorn, and the others are "perfect knives" that are actually attainable...well, not the DT, I guess.

Latest posts

Back