Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: What's your "unicorn"?

What's your "unicorn"?

I'm sure everyone here has one knife they'll always be chasing, be it due to cost, perhaps the line was discontinued, craftsman retired etc.. Perhaps a Hattori KD, a particular antique european knife, maybe some natural stone from some long closed mine in Japan?

For me, it's probably the Nenox C1 cleaver. I'm sure there's better cleavers out there and I could just pick up a Hattori FH (again) which I hear is pretty much identical. But the Nenox range is just so iconic, even if it is so horribly over priced. And given that the cleaver was discontinued so long ago, it's even more desirable.

But hey, a man can dream, can't he?

So what's yours?

Cheers,
    Josh

My father used to have an established career in the culinary industry a quarter decade ago and has offered me his 10" sab. I want alot of things, many jknives included. But this is important to me.
    It's not the Answer it's the Experience

There's definitely "something" about a knife with a story. I've looked at so many old Sabs from the early century, and own a few vintage ones myself and I can't help but admire them when I hold them. Can't help but imagine how many enthusiasts and pros before me used them and what dished they helped create. I like to imagine my canadian massif from the 1940 has passed through a couple of (literally) old school French kitchens.

Cheers,
    Josh

Well mine is truly a unicorn.I would love to make a handle from Narwhal ivory.....But it is not legal in the USA so it will never happen.

Quote Originally Posted by RRLOVER View Post
    Well mine is truly a unicorn.I would love to make a handle from Narwhal ivory.....But it is not legal in the USA so it will never happen.
    Isn't there old stock with cites-certificates that's still legal to be sold?

Mario, maybe bring a portable shop to a place where it's not illegal?? Haha, dumb idea.

It honestly wouldn't surprise me if someone on this forum had a stash of Narwhal Ivory.

Looks like Boone Trading has some old pre-ban Narwhal ivory. Ain't cheap.

Quote Originally Posted by Rottman View Post
    Isn't there old stock with cites-certificates that's still legal to be sold?
    Yes there is......Just not able to import to USA, Canada is only 6 hours away

Quote Originally Posted by RRLOVER View Post
    Mario, check here http://www.boonetrading.com/Narwhal.html I brought one from them about ten years ago!!