kaeleb's kids knife

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mano

Reaction score
I asked kaeleb to make a knife for one of the line cook's newborn boy. The blade is redwood, handle is koa and all the oils and finishes used were natural and food safe so the knife can be chewed on by a baby and be okay.

Matt uncorked a great one! Clearly, this was from the craftsman's heart. After all the work he's done for me and never having met him, Matt has become a dear friend of sorts.

Here's the redacted thank you from the baby's father:

Many thanks for the baby's wonderful gift. I'm going between keeping it as a showpiece, and letting him chop away. I'm leaning toward the latter. Not processing real food, but playing along. I imagine him around the age of three, next to me, boosted by a step stool, prepping the evening's meal just like daddy does. The knife might wear, and stain, and maybe even break because of it. But if it does, we'll fix it together. And then one day it will be passed along in whatever condition it's in. And it will have even more value.

Many Thanks
kids knife2.JPG

kids knife handle.JPG

I'm not happy about the prospect of it breaking, but at least he's thinking about the kid's future.

Great knife and great heart! Hope your dreams come true.

How cool is that???

Great "knife"!

Cool, I am very happy he likes it. It was fun to make.

Oh yeah, forgot to address the grind, believe it or not it has a pretty good distal taper. Partial convex on the right side, flat left side, about a 7mm bevel on both sides tapering to a very thin 3mm edge. :robot:

I'm more about what a maker does with the material. So, what's your process for HTing this? I'm assuming it's carbon(?)

I love it and it is beautiful. Great idea. I remember seeing a wooden pocket knife kit for kids one time that I thought was a good idea, but this looks way cooler.

k.

Not sure how I missed this one - great work and what a great idea!

Stefan

Back