Thread: Handle repair/glue question?

Handle repair/glue question?

I had the end piece on one of my handles come off. It was from a Fish handle and it was metal glued to wood.
    I was wondering what glue would be best to put it back on with?

Here is a pic of the knife from Dave's Fish Gallery.

Thanks,
    Steve

Try a good epoxy, remove all old glue and clean both surfaces with acetone before glueing. Maybe drill a few small cavities into the wood end to increase the surface. Epoxy usually doesn't like to be pressed to 0 thickness.

If it was me I would solder a pin onto the end piece and drill a hole into the handle, then epoxy.
    Spike C
    "The Buddha resides as comfortably in the circuits of a digital computer or the gears of a cycle transmission as he does at the top of a mountain."
    Pirsig

I like gflex 2 part marine epoxy from west systems, but I think spikes suggestion seems the most sound and bump proof. Shoot me a pm if you want some gflex and I can put a few syringes full in the mail.

What is the end cap made of? I would be happy to install a pin in it for you if it is not some weird alloy.
    Spike C
    "The Buddha resides as comfortably in the circuits of a digital computer or the gears of a cycle transmission as he does at the top of a mountain."
    Pirsig

Quote Originally Posted by SpikeC View Post
    What is the end cap made of? I would be happy to install a pin in it for you if it is not some weird alloy.
    Metal caps can be a pain, sticking a mosaic pin through it and then epoxy it on would be one option - or a hidden pin like Spike suggests. Without a pin, I am with the other guys - a decent epoxy and good preparation of the glue surface. I usually drill very small dimples into both pieces or at least scratch them up well so that there is more surface for the glue.

Stefan

I had the same experience with a Fish aluminum endcap. Epoxyed it back on and hasn't given me any problems since.
    All men dream, but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that it was vanity; but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. - Lawrence

Quote Originally Posted by ecchef View Post
    I had the same experience with a Fish aluminum endcap. Epoxyed it back on and hasn't given me any problems since.

Same thing here too.

Will pick up some epoxy and give it a try, thanks!

I use the pin thru method and it seemed to work for metal butt caps. I use a mosaic pin to spice it up a little.