Handle repair/glue question?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sw2geeks

Founding Member
Reaction score
I had the end piece on one of my handles come off. It was from a Fish handle and it was metal glued to wood.
I was wondering what glue would be best to put it back on with?

Here is a pic of the knife from Dave's Fish Gallery.

1177999220-IMG_4361_1_1.JPG

Thanks,
Steve

Try a good epoxy, remove all old glue and clean both surfaces with acetone before glueing. Maybe drill a few small cavities into the wood end to increase the surface. Epoxy usually doesn't like to be pressed to 0 thickness.

If it was me I would solder a pin onto the end piece and drill a hole into the handle, then epoxy.

I like gflex 2 part marine epoxy from west systems, but I think spikes suggestion seems the most sound and bump proof. Shoot me a pm if you want some gflex and I can put a few syringes full in the mail.

What is the end cap made of? I would be happy to install a pin in it for you if it is not some weird alloy.

What is the end cap made of? I would be happy to install a pin in it for you if it is not some weird alloy.

Metal caps can be a pain, sticking a mosaic pin through it and then epoxy it on would be one option - or a hidden pin like Spike suggests. Without a pin, I am with the other guys - a decent epoxy and good preparation of the glue surface. I usually drill very small dimples into both pieces or at least scratch them up well so that there is more surface for the glue.

Stefan

I use the pin thru method and it seemed to work for metal butt caps. I use a mosaic pin to spice it up a little.

Back