Loaner Knives?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Maybe it is the steady drip of wine into my system, but is anyone interested in a loaner knife program?

Of course we don't want to lose our knives to scams or abusive users, but when I am rotating through my knives, several blades end up 'lacking in love'. So I've often thought about posting a list of temporarily unused knives that others could try out for a couple of months if they wanted. Just take care of them. It would be free of charge (except shipping) and no knife reviews are necessary. Basically there is no obligation, and I am just trying to get knives used more and let other members experience knives they may not be able to buy (at the moment) ;).

Just throwing out the idea. In the morning this might seem silly.

k.

I'd really be in to this. There's a few makers and styles of knife out there I'd like to try without pulling the trigger (and then invariably reselling).

Don't have much left to pony up myself though, unless someone is interested in testing out a CCK-1303 lol.

This sounds cool actually. I have a couple of nice customs that i would lend out to a good home for a bit.

Mike

that is wonderful idea:doublethumbsup:l! I always want to try more steels from different maker....:laugh:

Sounds like a good idea. Maybe just set some rules/guidelines similar to that of a passaround.

It's a great idea, assuming the knives are treated well. Some passarounds I've seen have been kinda beaten up. The best way to do this is to select who gets it, and not feel obligated to let it be only the first one to say, "I'll take it!". Of course, we'd need to allow lesser known/newer members the opportunity, as well, so it gets funny there.

I like it!

As a newer member, I'd hugely appreciate this. (And I now do have SOME street cred as I have put my money where my mouth is - thank you Chuck and Del!) But I completely understand the concern with newer members, so defer to your judgment on what amount of confidence you'd require to loan out one of your babies. I know I would love to try out different types of steel and different styles of knife. Most interested in something I could use for carving meat, and also a long gyuto with a wa handle. Oh and something single beveled.

This does sound like a great idea! Many of us, including me, would love to have a chance trying out some in a real life setting before shelling out the money, as I am poor, lol. Me personally a few cleavers or a petty or two, as these will be my next upgrades. I most definitely will be watching this thread

Yeah, I've also heard a lot of self-conscious requests for a loaner library of less-expensive or at least factory-production knives, to help learn and make decisions. My wife had a friend who ran a baby-wearing group here in Fort Worth and they had a lending library of carriers that was HUGELY helpful in us finding a good carrier. So I think a loaner library would be great, even of sub $100 knives.

It'd be a great use of old knives we have moved on from, too, provided that they aren't worn down.

It's understandable to be a little wary of loaning out high quality blades.As a sharpener I've seen a lot of abused knives come my way.

It is a good idea if a loaning agreement is understood(total knife care).I have found thinning out my knive addiction by giving them as gifts to relatives & friends.I also teach them knife care & how to sharpen on a whetstone.Some of the better sharpeners in my extended family are Women,one of my sisters & a couple nieces.

Ok, I have been thinking about this a bit more, and even after the wine metabolized out of my body it seemed like a good idea, so that's the true test ;)

I'm just going to throw out some ideas/general rules that might be good to consider and others can chime in. And to all of these, exceptions will apply. For instance, every now and then a well-know knife knut will come over from a different forum, so putting a straight post count threshold might not always work, and likewise someone who has a 100 posts but drinks every night for a hundred days and contributes to the 'drinking thread' might not be that great of a person to lend to. Just kidding, but you get what I mean.

Essentially, I don't want it to be too strict to limit loaning, but it must be known that knives are lent at the owners' risk, so the owner should exercise common sense and caution. I would hope the knives come back more used, but undamaged, but that is impossible to guarantee. With that said, there are a some things that might reduce risks of damage, loss, etc.

* In general try to not lend out knives over $500. If you know the person is rock solid, fine, but if something goes wrong with a high-value loan, then it runs the risk of fewer knives being lent or people pulling out.

* I like the name "knife library." Maybe we can start a thread by that name where members can post what they have that is available and others can post solicitations too. Then everything is one place.

* In the end, the owner has the right to say 'no' without any reason. Just accept it if this happens to you.

* If you want to take part and borrow knives, try to be an active member (more posts is usually better), maybe become a site supporter, or offer up your own knives. Giving back is a good sign.

* I am toying with the idea that all loans are publicly posted in thread and not behind the scenes in PMs. Of course details can be worked out in PMs, but this way if there is a 'red flag user' out there, the community can help police it, plus it lets others know that a knife is 'out'.

* Post next to each knife being offered any special reqs/info that might be important (lefty/righty, asymmetric bevels, if you mind it being used in a pro kitchen, etc.) Obviously listing size, knife type, and steel are important too. Also, if you require the knives to be insured, note that. And oh yeah, if the knife is a drawer queen and you are lending it only to supremely sit, unmolested in someone else's drawer, please note that too ;)

* Agree on a lending time and stick to it. No one wants to be chasing down their knives and worrying about it.

* And as always, pictures (+ measurements) are a plus. I am also partly thinking of putting together a 'measuring' kit for lending out. Maybe a set of calipers and a point-tip micrometer so others could spec out their knives if they wanted.

Ok, that's my input so far.

k.

This is such a great idea and will allow a lot of people to test knives they might want to buy later. :doublethumbsup:

Back