confedence in my sharpening skills

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

El Pescador

Engorged Member
Reaction score
No longer cooking for a living (hello sanity!) I had worried that I had become out of practice sharpening. Now working rigging sailboats, I traded a hand made knife lanyard for a knife sharpening. My buddy's knife was an antique camillus rigging knife. Had to thin it then Beston bester and chosera. Thing was screaming Sharp after it was stropped.
Got a call today that he cut his finger to the bone and needed 9 stitches! He said he didn't notice til a blood drop hit his leg...
Pride restored!

Pesky

Thanks Dave! Thats a big complement coming from you after you seeing the gyuto I just sent to you!

Pesky

Nice job! At least it was a sharp one, so it will not likely leave a scar.

People really get used to using dull knives and they require different techniques to use.

Have to agree nice job. His cut shouldn't be that bad since it was a sharp blade. Sharpening is like riding a bike. You never fully forget how to do it.

Isn't it stupid? Haha.
I just put (yet another) 1" slice through one of my fingers and my first thought was, "man this FKH petty gets SHARP!"

With my morbid sense of humor I wondered what are we going to post, when somebody cuts off a body part?

Jay

Wait, I thought that was the standard definition of a "lazer". Capable of cleanly cutting off body parts (through cartilage, not bone) at 15 degree included angle after strop on diamond-spray-loaded leather. Isn't that the definition you use?

I've never understood these stories about knife using people that promptly cut themselves to the bone when handed something that is actually sharp. How are they using their knives normally? Dull or not, I don't drag edges over my body parts and not expect to get cut.

Back