Need a slicer

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ams

Reaction score
Looking for a multipurpose slicer for professional use. Will be using it for things like scallop crudo, skinning salmon fillets, portioning tenderloins, slicing pates, etc. Would like a yanagiba or suji but doesn't have to be one of those. Don't need it to have a kiritsuke-ish-ness to it as it would be used almost exclusively for a slicing action.

Prefer Stainless in a professional kitchen but may go carbon if its worth it
No preference on single or double bevel
Don't sharpen myself (yet)
Like to keep it under $220
Prefer something lightweight and thin

Any reccomendations?

Konosuke 240mm or 270mm SS suji..Light,thin a great cutter.

yanagi is pretty limited to slicing fish, a suji suits your needs much better.

My suggestion is at least go 270mm, 300 if you have counter space on the line.

I use a 300mm kanemasa e-series suji, it's a good value. Doesn't sharpen as nicely as my blue 2 & white 2 knives, it's a sk-4 tool steel. If you want a laser check the konosuke hd or sakai yusuke if that's what you're looking for. I'm slicing a lot of proteins with charred crusts, which dulls knives quickly.

I suggest you go carbon as this isn't a knife that's touching much veg.

Thanks guys.

Any recommendations for a good bang-for-your-buck sujihiki? Any thoughts on Fujiwara carbon and Tojiro DP? Considering getting some sharpening stones so a cheaper knife may be worth my while.

Thanks guys.

Any recommendations for a good bang-for-your-buck sujihiki? Any thoughts on Fujiwara carbon and Tojiro DP? Considering getting some sharpening stones so a cheaper knife may be worth my while.

I wouldn't advice a Tojiro DP. It's a clad knife with VG-10 core, not the best treated. Deburring VG-10 is an art in itself and it takes some time to learn it. Not exactly a good idea if you're going to use it at work. And would you ever want to try it, don't start with the Tojiro.

The Fujiwara FKH is a great slicer, light, well balanced, relatively stiff,
The steel is not the finest in the world, it's a somewhat coarse grained tool steel, but that shouldn't be a problem with a slicer. But, it's highly reactive and does contain some sulfur, so a patina is highly recommended to master the smell...
You should know its strongly right biased, and as so often, the edge is unpredictable.
First things to do is degrease, force a patina and put a decent edge on it.

Back