Quantcast
K390 Kitchen knife
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: K390 Kitchen knife

K390 Kitchen knife

How do you guys feel about K390 for full sized kitchen knives?

Ive read alot into CPM 10v and K294. Seems very popular as near the best edge and retention you can get, but not very tough. Mostly used in smaller knives as much as I can tell.

K390 is supposed to be a near equivalent but tougher as well. Anyone have experience with it?

Interesting! I actually have a couple blades in process in K390. I have been doing some testing and am impressed with the initial results. Its its everything they say it is. and with proper heat treat I think it will be a SUPER kitchen knife steel.

Im interested to hear if anyone else have worked with it. used it as a knife, etc.

The specs are stupid good. Im talking CRAZY good.

I was considering a Pass around in K390 the beginning of next year so some guys and gals can test it in some real world use!

Inspired by God, Forged by Fire, Tempered by Water, Grounded by Earth, Guided by the spirit.. Randy Haas

Availible Knives

I'd love an opportunity to give it a test in a pro kitchen!

HEY!!!........I thought that stuff was SuperSecret,Nondisclosetionary,SuperDuper wear resistant steel.Did I mention it is a SuperSecret

All joking aside it should be great steel.

I noticed that **** has a limited run of M-390 Gyuto wt. custom Tim Johnson handle maple burl,mosaic pins.I have the Spyderco M-390,its edge holding & toughness are deff. above average.

Do not know at this time the deff. between M-390 & K-390,same foundry similar steels.To me 199.00 for a M-390 gyuto,nice looking custom handle is one heck of a good deal.

Should mention that these blades are 50/50 machine ground.He does use excellent HT at Peter's.

Machine ground is not a problem,wt. freehand skills you can put a polished convex edge on yourself.Tho the 390 steel is tough,it is a little harder to sharpen.It is doable though I'm maybe the only dude wt. a polished convex grind on my Spyderco

Sorry so many posts I just researched the diff. between K390 and M-390.The big diff. is in the amounts of Carbon & Chrom.

K390 M-390

Carbon-2.45 1.90
    Chrom-4.15 20.00
    Cobalt- 2.00 -----
    Moly- 3.75 1.00
    Mangan----- .30
    Silicon - .55 .70
    Tung. - 1.00 .60
    Vanadium-9.00 4.00

Seeing these figures the K390 would be semi- stainless,easier to sharpen.the high carbon,Tung,Vanadium,Moly,cobalt make for sharp edge wt. superior edge holding & toughness.

M-390 Stainless,harder to sharpen,again good edge holding & toughness.

2.45% Carbon is very high carbon steel a plus in kitchen blades= sharp edge ability.Thats more carbon in the Iron than high quality carbon blades.Who is using the K390 steel?

I think 4% chrome isn't enough to be called semi stainless and with so much vanadium you'll get plenty of them funny ultra hard vanadium carbides.

Well possible that it doesn't even take a very fine edge.

Seems like an overkill steel for a kitchen knife, unless made to order for someone who wants a super wear resistant knifes and is willing to invest in equipment maintaining it.

If you think you can get that steel sharp on water stones, think again. You will need diamond plates all the way.

"If there’s something worth doing, it’s worth overdoing.” - An US saying.

If my KKF Inbox is full (or not), please contact me via Email: anvlts@gmail.com

Yep,I guess we will have to wait & see.Molybdenum has corrosion resistance as well tho 4.15% Chrom. is not much.Patina's never bother me.

It will be fun to see when someone gets a K390 blade puts it to the stones & starts cutting,I'm interested in it's edge holding ability.

+ Reply to Thread